Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup setting off car alarm

Options
  • 31-05-2013 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all, I have a small pup and if I leave him in the car alone, within minutes the alarm goes off. Is it possible to disable the alarm internally?
    Its a Toyota Avensis, Valeo alarm.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Most alarms have a setting for leaving windows open so they only go off if the door is open BUT you shouldn't be leaving a dog in the car with the heat lately. It only takes a few minutes for a dog to get heat stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maxtiny

Thanks for replying, although a little bit patronising :( I would only leave him for a few minutes to run into a shop or the bank etc.
    The advice I'm looking for is HOW to find the settings for the alarm rather than how to treat my pup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

maxtiny wrote: »
    Thanks for replying, although a little bit patronising :( I would only leave him for a few minutes to run into a shop or the bank etc.
    The advice I'm looking for is HOW to find the settings for the alarm rather than how to treat my pup

Where's the face-palm emoticon - I can't find it?

Maxtiny: You must be psychic to know the state of the queues in a bank/shop/other venue when you're parking your vehicle.

You should NOT leave a dog or a child in a car. Not only are they at peril from the weather but scumbags can easily break a window and abscond with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just back from a week at the beach with our fella. Dog left in car ( for short stints ) with the use of a vent lock. Both dog and car are safe and within view while we go swimming. And before I'm bashed for not bringing the dog... This is after he's had a run for an hour with us on the beach - as he hates the water. Check out the ventlock website!!! Same idea as leaving a window open.

Plus I've had the windows tinted professionally - so the dog is cool and people are unaware he is inside.

To answer the OP... Most cars set the locks and the motion sensor via the key fob. We lock the car with the key, turned in the drivers door, which locks all doors but does NOT set the motion sensor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a mill Hooked, that sounds like "real" advice, I will try that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Maybe this question would be better posted in the motoring forum? Just here, people will be berating you for leaving the dog in the car, whereas there would be more of a chance of people knowing the setting over there!

Hi SillyMangoX, thats a good idea, will do, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Phone a Toyota dealer - they will tell you - or do you have the car handbook? I know on our car, we click x3 times on the key fob to disable the alarm, but still have the car disabled so its surely possible.

Thanks Aonb, I have already tried a local Toyota dealer but that was no help, a week later I'm still waiting on a call back from them!
    I didn't think of the handbook, will check that now :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, there is a fair dollop of back-seat moderating going on here, which as you'll know, is against the forum charter.
    Can I remind all users that if you have a problem with a post, report it. Do not take the problem into your own hands.
    Also, let's keep it civil: there is no need to jump down anyone's throat without knowing all the facts first. Civility towards other posters is also a requirement of the forum charter.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

maxtiny wrote: »

The reason I posted (although i wish i hadn't bothered now) about it being dangerous was because my own vet posted on FB just the other day about their first case of heatstroke this summer - the dog had only been in the car for a few minutes...

Advertisement