Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmashogue Lane to Ballyedmunduff Road

Options
  • 31-05-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to cycle from Kilmashogue Lane (marked point "A" to Ballyedmunduff Road marked point "B") via the route I've marked in the attached image? According to Google Maps part of the route is "partially restricted or private". If the latter (private) then obviously it's not on but might "partially restricted" simply mean that there's bollards?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Ballyedmunduff Road was closed with road works when I passed on Wednesday evening, so maybe not a good time to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

I know it's not paved so wouldn't do it on a road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

If you have a look at streetview is appears that at least the ends of this are tarmac roads. The Kilmashogue end appears to have a Coillte gate on it. There is of course no guarantee that around the corner this doesn't turn in to a fire trail (fine for my hybrid, probably not for a road bike) or a dirt single track trail.

Open Street Map has it down as a brown dotted line which I couldn't find a definition of but the data layer indicates this road is (at least partially)
    • highway: track
    • motorcar: no
    • motorcycle: no
    • smoothness: bad
    • tracktype: grade3
    What that all means I don't really know...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

uphillonly wrote: »
    I know it's not paved so wouldn't do it on a road bike.

I know but it's quite short and frankly some of the paved roads I've been on recently might as well have been tracks. (I'm thinking here of the road out of Woodenbridge used on last Sunday's Mick Byrne and the road from the Liffey Valley at Ballysmuttan over the brow of Lugnagun down to Lackin.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I think the restricted road part just refers to the fireroads around three rock - afaik that's all ok to travel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yes it is completely possible but it's not all tarmac so you would need a mountain bike or even a Cyclo Cross bike. Tarmac all the way to the highpoint of Ticknock but then fireroad down to the small private road that leads to Ballyedmunduff Road. It's a regular route for mountainbikers!

I've taken my hybrid on the fire-roads from Kilmashogue to Tibradden which is fine, haven't done the Ballyedmunduff section but guess it would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

rflynnr wrote: »
    I know but it's quite short and frankly some of the paved roads I've been on recently might as well have been tracks. (I'm thinking here of the road out of Woodenbridge used on last Sunday's Mick Byrne and the road from the Liffey Valley at Ballysmuttan over the brow of Lugnagun down to Lackin.)

We rode Mick Byrne together last Sunday (experiencing the psychotic driver). :eek: This is worse than the bad sections there. I've ridden the part from Three Rock down thinking it a short cut but really just a off-road track. Fine on a cycle-cross & MTB, not ideal for a road bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

smacl wrote: »
    I've taken my hybrid on the fire-roads from Kilmashogue to Tibradden which is fine,
    Which fire roads are these?

I've been struggling to find a route between Kilmashogue Lane and Tibradden. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057255702 for more details of my query.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Which fire roads are these?

I've been struggling to find a route between Kilmashogue Lane and Tibradden. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057255702 for more details of my query.

My bad, I actually meant the Kilmashogue - Ticknock fireroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I grew up in Ballyedmonduff so know the area quite well.

Unless it is cyclocross, don't attempt this on a road bike-we regularly take our road bikes on tracks around Trooperstown and these tracks in certain places are a lot worse.

Kilmashogue to the crest just north of the 3 rock is fine, aaa is the descent off to the junction on the fire break South of the water filled quarry above the Blue Light but from there going E to the top of what they call Carthys Green is MTB terrain.. Only about 400m though, then it is paved down to Roe and oneills quarry on Ballyedmonduff road.. Watch for walkers as it is a tricky blind descent.

I hope this is of use... Don't forget your Gatorskins and a repair kit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Can't be done on road bike without getting puncture. I can confirm that.

Advertisement