Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI application review?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I need to get some clarification on this.

I'll be starting 2nd year in September. In 1st year, I only got the fees paid and no maintenance because I haven't been living in Ireland for 3 of the last 5 years hence I'm considered a tuition student. However, when 2nd year kicks off, I believe I will be satisfying the residency condition therefore I should be getting the maintenance aswell, am I right? I applied for the renewal straight after the whole thing reopened and I sent SUSI and e-mail to reassess my application. But their response was that "Unfortunately Once you have been submitted as a tuition Student You get only awarded fees only throughout whole course, You Can not Change from tuition student to student and receive maintenance during your course period."

So the question is, is that true? I'm sure I've read on boards and somewhere else that SUSI reviews peoples applications to find out if they are eligible for maintenance even if they weren't eligible for it the last year or whatever. I want to sort this out asap so any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi eyssy12,

The information you received is correct. Once you enter the grant system you have to remain in the same status until the course is completed.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 eyssy12

Here on studentfinance.ie at the top http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp9546/step-2-check-your-residency-status/index.html it says about residency:
    "If you do not qualify at the beginning of your course, it is possible for you to meet this requirement during the course of your studies; reviewed at the beginning of an academic year."

And right here on boards http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950688&page=2 near bottom of the page, you are saying that:
    "If a student was only awarded fees only for one year, they might re-assess this year to see if maintenance is available."

Also, can you clarify where in the Student Support Act 2011 or in Statutory Instrument 159 that it states you cannot change from "tuition student" to "student" please? Thanks.

Good morning Eyssy12,

Thank you for your query.

The best advice would be for you to apply and then see the outcome. It is correct that if you have a change of circumstances then the assessment team will review it and decide from there if they deem you eligible to change status.

As it states it is a possibility but not a guarantee that it will happen.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Ok, that's good to hear. The thing is that I have already applied for the renewal of my current grant. The one box where you could state if there are any change of circumstances, I ticked no because at the time I didn't think about it fully and I thought that that was just about income and assumed SUSI would do a re-assessment of my situation.

How should I approach this? Should I cancel my current renewal app. (if that is possible) and apply for a new one? Or just wait until I hear from SUSI in August or whenever and then do something about it? Thanks.

Hi Eyssy12,

You can't cancel a renewal and re-apply. The only option from here would be to email support@susi.cdvec.ie and explain that you want to declare a change of circumstance. Explain in detail what has changed for you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Advertisement

Perfect! That's all I needed to know! Thanks.

Hi Eyssy12,

I'm glad I was able to help.

If you have any other queries going forward please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Advertisement