Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhysChem?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey! I'm a JC student, just wondering about subject choices.:rolleyes:

Is PhysChem the same as Physics and Chemistry only they're combined into one giant subject? My school doesn't offer Physics or Chemistry alone, so yea. I just want opinions on PhysChem, should I do Physics/Chemistry outside school/grinds? Is physchem the same as Physics/Chemistry university course requirement wise?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

Hey, physchem student here.

> Is PhysChem the same as Physics and Chemistry only they're combined into one giant subject?

It's more so bits and pieces from both of them. You'll have a class where you'll do Chemistry for the day and then another day you'll do Physics for the day. In my school, we have two teachers - one for the Phys side and one for the chem. Some people like to say its the "easy bits from Physics and Chemistry". I disagree.

> should I do Physics/Chemistry outside school/grinds?

Good luck finding them. I believe about 900 students in Ireland do phys/chem, that means there isn't many who teach grinds in the subject as there isn't much demand.. Maybe if you live in Dublin you'll be able to find one.

>Is physchem the same as Physics/Chemistry university course requirement wise?

Not sure what you mean but yes it counts as a science subject FOR MOST COLLEGES (not all! I don't think it counts for medicine or veterinary courses!), so if you need a science subject to get into your Arts course or whatever, it'll count. I'd consult your guidance counselor before you choose it though.

My personal thoughts on physchem? It's hard. I'm not a sciencey type of person and I do ordinary maths, so from the off-start i'm at a disadvantage. Quite a lot of the physics side is math orientated. The chemistry side is quite easy (in my opinion), its basically just learning off definitions. I detest the physics side, it's REALLY hard. Most of the people in my physchem class don't do great in the subject. 4 out of 10 have dropped to pass and half the class got bellow 45% in the mocks. The only reason I chose phys/chem was because I needed a science and biology was full. I really wish I got into biology. Also, chances are you won't get a textbook - theres none devoted to the subject. You'll get handouts from Chemistry books or Physics books. This means, if your teachers ****, you'll more than likely have no other source of information - grinds for the subject will be near impossible to find if you live anywhere other than Dublin and maybe some of the other bigger counties. You'll not be able to get a revision books, there are none. You will solely rely on your teacher and if they let you down then your grade will suffer.

But, this is just my opinion. There are maybe 3/4 in my class who will easily get an A in physchem (but they'll probably get A's in all there other subjects too...). So if your naturally really smart and do good in every subject then you should definitely be able to pick up at least a B. If you're average (like me) you should be able to scrape a C or a high D, maybe a B if you put in a lot of work.

Edit: Just seen your name, DublinArnie, yeah the chances are you'll be able to find a grinds teacher but still - I wouldn't say its 100%!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Elceeney wrote: »
    Hey, physchem student here.

> Is PhysChem the same as Physics and Chemistry only they're combined into one giant subject?

It's more so bits and pieces from both of them. You'll have a class where you'll do Chemistry for the day and then another day you'll do Physics for the day. In my school, we have two teachers - one for the Phys side and one for the chem. Some people like to say its the "easy bits from Physics and Chemistry". I disagree.

> should I do Physics/Chemistry outside school/grinds?

Good luck finding them. I believe about 900 students in Ireland do phys/chem, that means there isn't many who teach grinds in the subject as there isn't much demand.. Maybe if you live in Dublin you'll be able to find one.

>Is physchem the same as Physics/Chemistry university course requirement wise?

Not sure what you mean but yes it counts as a science subject FOR MOST COLLEGES (not all! I don't think it counts for medicine or veterinary courses!), so if you need a science subject to get into your Arts course or whatever, it'll count. I'd consult your guidance counselor before you choose it though.

My personal thoughts on physchem? It's hard. I'm not a sciencey type of person and I do ordinary maths, so from the off-start i'm at a disadvantage. Quite a lot of the physics side is math orientated. The chemistry side is quite easy (in my opinion), its basically just learning off definitions. I detest the physics side, it's REALLY hard. Most of the people in my physchem class don't do great in the subject. 4 out of 10 have dropped to pass and half the class got bellow 45% in the mocks. The only reason I chose phys/chem was because I needed a science and biology was full. I really wish I got into biology. Also, chances are you won't get a textbook - theres none devoted to the subject. You'll get handouts from Chemistry books or Physics books. This means, if your teachers ****, you'll more than likely have no other source of information - grinds for the subject will be near impossible to find if you live anywhere other than Dublin and maybe some of the other bigger counties. You'll not be able to get a revision books, there are none. You will solely rely on your teacher and if they let you down then your grade will suffer.

But, this is just my opinion. There are maybe 3/4 in my class who will easily get an A in physchem (but they'll probably get A's in all there other subjects too...). So if your naturally really smart and do good in every subject then you should definitely be able to pick up at least a B. If you're average (like me) you should be able to scrape a C or a high D, maybe a B if you put in a lot of work.

Edit: Just seen your name, DublinArnie, yeah the chances are you'll be able to find a grinds teacher but still - I wouldn't say its 100%!

Interesting view! Thanks :).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

Hey, just seen the post above me said there was no book for phys/chem but there defo is cause I have it. Not sure of the name atm but pm me if you want it :) Its a really good choice as a science subject.. Its way easier than chemistry or physics alone.

Advertisement