Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive 4TB 7200RPM Hitachi SATA HDD £139.97/€161.51 + Free delivery

Options
  • 31-05-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Just noticed this Hitachi 4TB HDD drop in price. It's gone from around £170 to £139.97 (UK VAT) - Was £250 for ages.

These HDDs are not the horrid cheap and slow 5400RPM ones but a proper 7200RPM - This'll be a great upgrade for anyone with a media server or RAID.

It's currently the cheapest 4TB HDD around :)

Delivery to Irish address with Irish VAT is: £143.47/€167.96. If you use Parcel Motel it's just £139.97/€161.51

HD-084-HI_43137_350.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

vibe666 wrote: »

1st review

"
    Dell doesn't manufacture HDDs. Why rebrand a hard drive of all things?? Most likely an hitachi deskstar.

I'm not complaining about the quality of the product. It just baffles me on why do it with an harddrive??? "

No sh*t,

90% of the drives out there are Hitachi or Seagate.

pointless unhelpful review.

yeah, it's a Hitachi part no. on the drive as well and I actually found it because already have the same drive I got from scan.co.uk a month ago which was a branded hitachi one. when i searched for the same model no. on amazon that "dell" one was the first result. :)

now i just need to find the money to get 6 more of them to fill my NAS. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

FYI, You need Windows 7 64Bit to run anything above 2TB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Tallon wrote: »

That doesn't sound right. Where did you come by this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

There's a handy Microsoft article about it here with a matrix of what is and isn't supported.

Basically you need to format it as a GPT disk (with NTFS). It looks like XP can't read GPT - at least not natively.

Who still uses XP and needs 4TBs though? Tsk tsk :)

SickBoy wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right. Where did you come by this information?
    It is right! I've Installed 9TB on my own Machine... you need to format it as a GPT disk, this is only possible on 64bit

And I got the information from Microsoft!
    Overall Requirements for a Bootable System Volume

In order for a system to address the maximum capacity of a storage device with capacity greater than 2TB and to install Windows to and boot from the storage device, the following requirements apply.

- Disk initialized with the GPT Partitioning Scheme

- UEFI System Firmware

- 64-bit Version of Windows (all SKUs):

Windows Vista 64-bit
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Windows Server 2008 64-bit
    Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit

- Updated storage drivers from your storage controller manufacturer

Specifically, if your system uses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

In order for a system to address the maximum capacity of a storage device with capacity greater than 2TB and to install Windows to and boot from the storage device, the following requirements apply.

So only if you want to boot from it?

It would be grand for a storage hdd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

kaimera wrote: »
    So only if you want to boot from it?

It would be grand for a storage hdd?

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the whole deathstar from hitachi still rings in my mind from the horrid stories over the previous number of years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not true! My Mac runs them just fine. :)

stimpson wrote: »
    Not true! My Mac runs them just fine. :)

Pretty sure MS don't make macs :rolleyes:

Pretty sure MS don't make macs :rolleyes:
    microsoft don't make Linux either, but you can use a 4tb disk on that too and it doesn't even need to be 64bit if it's formatted under Linux. ;)

So long story short, it doesn't need to be Win7 64bit to support disks larger than 2tb, it just needs to be any OS capable of using a GPT partition (which includes OSX and Linux). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I bought two of these drives about two months ago ( I ran out of space in my HTPC ).

Liking them so far , very quiet and good transfer speeds when copying between drives .

The large box makes it look like it's the full retail package including sata cables , but there are only 4 screws included in the box .

Advertisement