Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting to feel real

Options
  • 31-05-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

So I reached the 25000 word mark this week. It's starting to feel like a proper story - I'm compelled to keep writing because I want to know what happens next!

I think it's going to be a long one though. A few people on here have said it's hard to get published if the novel (there, I used the N word) is over 100k. Is this the case for fantasy as well? 200k and longer seems to be normal in that bailiwick. Most of what I've written previously was pretty terse but this one is more descriptive, and I'm really getting off on painting a picture of a made-up world.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Over 100k won't be a problem for Fantasy, particularly if it's of the Epic variety.

Well done on your progress so far. It's very rewarding when you get to the end. Even if you never get it published, you can say you've done something many people only talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

25000 words is a nice place to be

a novel does begin to feel real around then

i found a great sense of momentum around that point

keep it up - and be sure to post your progress here - see you at 50k!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Fair dues to you. Keep it going. And yes, fantasy does allow for longer word counts. The important thing is that you choose the right words and that no words are wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

Focus on telling the story right now - don't worry about word counts. You can figure out editing and word counts and the next step when you've written your story.

Well done, keep up the hard work. :)

Advertisement