Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Tools 9 - blending DI + guitar onto one mono track?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a Pro Tools question for guitar recording – what’s the best way to blend a DI + mic feed into one mono track?

I typically use 2 tracks when recording acoustic guitar – 1 x DI and 1 x condenser mic. When mixing, the mic is my main sound (tone/body) and then I bring the DI up under it (for hi end definition/sparkle). Works well for me, but means I end up with 2 tracks for every acoustic guitar.

I’d prefer to have just one track with the blended sound, so now, I just bounce out the blended DI/mic tracks & import them as one (now stereo) track. This gives me the blended sound I want on one track… but because it’s bounced, it’s always in stereo. Plus, it’s a very slow process if I’ve lots of guitar tracks, because I have to bounce each pair individually (I’m on PT9).

Is there any other way to do this? I tried bussing the DI/mic to a 3rd track, but in Pro Tools, I’m not sure if I can monitor the blended buss mix (or can I?)

Same issue for electric guitar – I want to be able to blend my mic’d guitar amp with a DI + amp sim into one blended track.

Quite possible I’m missing something very obvious here, but would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

A 'better' solution might be record the two tracks then pull back the mic one to match the DI. (the mic one will probably be delayed)

Of course that's an artistic choice .

Then sum and record ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    A 'better' solution might be record the two tracks then pull back the mic one to match the DI. (the mic one will probably be delayed)

Of course that's an artistic choice .

Then sum and record ?

Thanks Paul… although I don’t understand your first statement - are you just suggesting the DI should be more prominent? It’s a bit too scratchy for my liking, so I keep it just under the mic track.

Re the summing part - that's the bit I'm trying to figure out... i.e. in PT9, what's the best way to actually sum the two tracks?
    1. Bounce (like I currently do, but it gives a stereo output)
    2. Send both tracks to a buss (seems like the most logical solution, except I don’t know how to monitor the buss levels to ensure the right blend)
    3. Some other option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I meant pull back along time line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Not a pro tools expert here, but watched someone do a fair few projects.

You can group the signals fairly simply i believe - and i remember they also had a 3rd channel which was either the room mic from a distance (to capture the natural reverberation in the room) or emulate it with a large pre-delay on a plugin reverb to make the room sound bigger.

They also re-amped the DI channel to see if they could get another angle/possible use out of the DI.

Advertisement