Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+ through FAS - Contact hours?

Options
  • 31-05-2013 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I've signed up to do the CompTIA A+ course through FAS in Cork city starting in July this year. Ideally I'd like to have studied the modules online but this isn't an option anymore; everything is thought in a classroom now.

I was told that the class hours are 8.30 to 4.30 mon-thursday, then 8.30 to 12.30 on Fridays for 12 weeks. I'd just like to know from people who may have went down this route before, is all this attendance mandatory?

Now given that CompTIA are the certifying body I don't see how physical attendence at a FAS training centre could have any possible bearing at all on the exam outcome. That said, CompTIA A+ certification is only one facet of the final overall certification; City & Guilds Level 1 in ICT Systems support & PC maintenance is also awarded. I would imagine it might be easier to factor physical attendance into this award (?)

Would anyone be able to shed any light on this one for me? 5 day a week attendance might be a problem for me as I might be required to give a hand with the family business the odd day. Also, I would already have a very good knowledge of many aspects of the course. I wouldn't want to waste time in a classroom being told something I already know when I might be better off revising the material myself at home.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

sugarman wrote: »
    Yep, hours are as you said. And yes it is mandatory, if you're late 5mins, your docked for 5mins etc etc.....

....Then you can book an exam for €150 with New Horizons, again, have a google. Nearly sure theyve a centre in cork.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. If I can expect 3 months of that then I definitely think I'd be better off going it alone. Regarding going it alone, I've a few more questions:

* I'm having immense difficulty finding information about booking standalone exams (i.e. not taking them as part of a [very expensive] course). I had a look at the new horizons website; they only seem to offer the exam as part of their own training courses (unless I've missed it completely). I went through the CompTIA website. They directed me to what seem to be their exclusive test provider Pearson VUE. I did a test centre search for Cork. The 2 companies listed aside from FAS don't seem to have any current involvement with CompTIA.

- Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

* I notice that the 700 series exams are being superseded by the 800 series exams later in the year. According to this here, I cannot take the 800 exams till October. The 700 modules are still being run by a lot of places as they don't officially lapse till the end of august. Am I better off waiting for the 800 series to become available or will I just press on with the 700s??

* Can anyone recommend a good textbook for the course? I know there's a lot of material available online but I like using text books; to give my eyeballs a break from screens if nothing else. I've seen a lot of different ones on amazon, some already geared towards the 800 series exams. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I did the Comptia A+ through FAS during the winter just gone. It was part of a PC Maintenance course they were running here in Limerick and are doing so again this winter.

When it came to the exams we had to create an account on Pearsons site and then FAS arranged the date and time and the exams were held at the FAS training centre in Raheen, Limerick. Pearson list the FAS training centre in Bishopstown as an approved centre for Comptia exams.

If you are starting the course in July and it runs for 12 weeks then I presume you are doing the 801 and 802 exams as 701 and 702 finish at the end of August. The 801 and 802 exams can be taken as of now.

If you are doing the course through FAS you will be given the appropriate reading material. If you are doing the 801 and 802 exams then you will receive that. We received the Mike Meyers book so I presume it will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭j.s. pill II

sugarman wrote: »
    Id suggest doing it yourself. You can pass it simply by watching the professor messor videos online. Have a google of him and his site. Since then I have done the Networks, Security+ and MCSA W7 mainly just using his videos ....Alot harder mind you, but A+ definately do'able.

Those videos are really fantastic - Thanks again.

Link here for anyone who needs it

Advertisement