Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT question

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with some advice here, I have a vehicle on which the NCT expired getting on for two years ago, actual date was 18/09/2011. It has been off the road since that time but I would like to start using it again. My question is - if I put it in for the test now will the expiry date (if it passes) of the new NCT be a year after (it's over ten years old) the pass date, or a year after the expiry date of the previous one, ie 18/09/2013?
    Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

your next NCT will run until 18/9 2013. If you wait until 18/6 2013 , it will run until 18/6/2014 (because you are allowed to do test up to three months early)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

corktina wrote: »
    your next NCT will run until 18/9 2013. If you wait until 18/6 2013 , it will run until 18/6/2014 (because you are allowed to do test up to three months early)

almost correct.
    you can do it 3 months early, and it will give you 15months ,

so.. If you wait until 18/6/2013 , it will run until 18/9/2014

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Pretty sure its all down to the first registration date. For instance, bought a run around and its over 10 years old. NCT was out about 6 months. Bought in February, taxed, did the test in April but it has to do another test in August (The anniversary of its first registration) Lunacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ironclaw it is due to first registration date however if you test a car within 3 months of it's next due date, you will get a cert from that new due date onwards. So in your case instead of testing in April, if you had done it say next week then you would have got a cert valid until August 2014 instead of August 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

ironclaw wrote: »
    Pretty sure its all down to the first registration date. For instance, bought a run around and its over 10 years old. NCT was out about 6 months. Bought in February, taxed, did the test in April but it has to do another test in August (The anniversary of its first registration) Lunacy.

Agree it's lunacy, but if you waited until May, then you would get a test until August in following year or even 2 years ahead if car was less than 10 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Johnnyowl

Sounds like bureaucracy gone mad!!!
    Thanks for the replies - looks as though I need to make the booking on or after June 18 then!
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

CiniO wrote: »
    Agree it's lunacy, but if you waited until May, then you would get a test until August in following year or even 2 years ahead if car was less than 10 years old.

See that's what confused me :confused:

It's well over 10 years old (1999) The NCT was out in say August 2012 (Assuming, I'm not positive) So why when doing a test in May 2013, do you only get a cert until August 2013? It just baffles the mind. Surely it doesn't make a blind bit of difference really bar as a money spin?

Not that I have an issue in paying for it. Its just the principal of paying €55 x 3 in a 2 year period as opposed to €110. I can't get the benefit of doing it early until my third test (August 2014) and even then its of no benefit as I'd have to (potentially) pay for it to be done in May 2013.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

So why when doing a test in May 2013, do you only get a cert until August 2013?

No, stop for a second. If you had done it within 3 months of it's next due date, you would have gotten it until August 2014 not 2013. The fact you did it in April is why you got it until 2013 as the next due date is August 2013. If you do a test within 3 months of it's next due date, regardless if it missed a previous test or not, then the car will be tested for that due date. If it passes, you will get the cert that covers you until the next due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

See that's what confused me :confused:

It's well over 10 years old (1999) The NCT was out in say August 2012 (Assuming, I'm not positive) So why when doing a test in May 2013, do you only get a cert until August 2013? It just baffles the mind. Surely it doesn't make a blind bit of difference really bar as a money spin?

Not that I have an issue in paying for it. Its just the principal of paying €55 x 3 in a 2 year period as opposed to €110. I can't get the benefit of doing it early until my third test (August 2014) and even then its of no benefit as I'd have to (potentially) pay for it to be done in May 2013.

It works like that because someone up there in government though that's the way it's going to be - nct valid up to next due date no matter when it's done, with possibility to do 3 months earlier.

Then when people started asking why is it like that, answer was then it's to discourage people to delay doing their test, and they won't get it for longer then. IMHO missed argument, but I know some agree with that.
    I just doubt it would encourage anyone to do test on time, and I know it inconvienances a lots of people and also might make international trip impossible. (f.e. if you plan to go abroad for 5 months, but you NCT is due in 4 months. You can't do a test yet, as it can be done 3 months before due date the earliest, and while you come back to Ireland in 5 months, your NCT will be already expired when abroad.
    I don't thing there is such nonsense in any other country.

In general at the moment the longest you can get your disc valid from test date is 30 months (in case of car being tested at age of 3.5 years).
    And the shortest you can get a disc for from test date is 3 months.
    If you do a test with less than 3 months up to due date (f.e. 2 months and 29 days) then you will get disc valid for nearly 15 months (or 27 months in case of car younger than 10 years old).

Advertisement