Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT query -ignition key

Options
  • 31-05-2013 8:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭

quick question

i can remove the key from the ignition while driving

i assume it's an nct fail?

i went through the nct list but couldn't find mention of it there

can someone confirm the obvious for me thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

quick question

i can remove the key from the ignition while driving

i assume it's an nct fail?

i went through the nct list but couldn't find mention of it there

can someone confirm the obvious for me thanks

When you say you can remove it, does it kill the engine, or just pull out and the engine stays running?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

When you say you can remove it, does it kill the engine, or just pull out and the engine stays running?

Is it a factory standard car? I know ex-UK police cars had a system where you could remove the key and the engine would stay running. However touch any of the pedals and the engine cut out. Same in ambulances. Allowed the operator to give chase and not worry about the car going walkies. Unfortunately common sense hasn't brought it in here.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Is it a factory standard car? I know ex-UK police cars had a system where you could remove the key and the engine would stay running. However touch any of the pedals and the engine cut out. Same in ambulances. Allowed the operator to give chase and not worry about the car going walkies. Unfortunately common sense hasn't brought it in here.

Who would nick a Police car or Ambulance? :confused:

Also if they are selling on ex police cars, they would surely remove the system?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

sorry didnt make it clear

key pulls straight out -engine runnin

it seems an obvious fail to me

but it got through an nct before

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

My sister can remove the key from her car while the engine is on, and it recently passed the NCT. I dont think its part of the test, and I doubt its something that they would even think to check to be honest.

• Advertisement

Who would nick a Police car or Ambulance? :confused:

Seriously? There are hoards of scumbags out there who would see that as the crowning achievement of their life if they went joyriding in a cop car/ambulance.

djimi wrote: »
    My sister can remove the key from her car while the engine is on, and it recently passed the NCT. I dont think its part of the test, and I doubt its something that they would even think to check to be honest.

the car came with fresh nct and this issue

my mechanic told me its a fail

but i couldn't find it on the nct pdf document

it's an old car with worn key and lock goes without sayin

Yeah, why would they check something like that? They usually just start the car, drive it in and then keep it running until the test is over, so unless the key fall out i doubt they will twig it.

ok thanks

would be a PITA to sort out

is it not a safety issue at all then??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not a fail, nct won't care. GFs Micra can do this too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

no its not a fail, only a fail if the key cant be removed or if the car cant be turned off.

ok thanks

Depends if the problem is with the key or the barrell. If its the barrell then it would be a big enough job to sort.

I dont really see why its a safety issue. Worst case scenario you cant turn off the engine, but its not that difficult to stall an engine if you really need to. For the most part its an issue that you wouldnt even notice.

great
    thanks guys/gals?

ok thanks

What type of car is it?

No, cant really see it as a safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There are hoards of scumbags out there who would see that as the crowning achievement of their life if they went joyriding in a cop car/ambulance.

Exactly. Pretty sure there was a case last Halloween of this happening.

Link: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-ambulance-stolen-during-call-out-1.750346

Disgraceful behavior and frankly it should be treated in court as attempted murder. Its not a very advanced system but it is clever and I'm fairly sure I knew someone with an old UK Volvo that had it fitted.

Advertisement