Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choices for repeats

Options
  • 31-05-2013 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey guys, can you please give me opinions about the following subjects for a repeat student, thank you!

-geography
    -home econimics
    -Japanese
    -art
    -music

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭shawki

GeminiBaby wrote: »
    Hey guys, can you please give me opinions about the following subjects for a repeat student, thank you!

-geography
    -home econimics
    -Japanese
    -art
    -music
    -physics

Home Ec You'll have a crazy two months with the project because its due the start of November so I recommend doing some work on that over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GeminiBaby

shawki wrote: »
    Home Ec You'll have a crazy two months with the project because its due the start of November so I recommend doing some work on that over the summer

What's the theory like? Doable??

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Music: if you're comfortable/confident playing your instrument, it is a great subject to choose, because the practical is worth 50%. And the music technology option within the music practical is very easy to learn, you get marks for saving, retrieving from desktop and printing your 16 bar score. Doing well in the composition paper (25%) is just down to practice, 2 questions a melody and harmony and the only variables are whether its minor/major, or upbeat, or 6/8 time. They get much easier after practice. The hardest part of the paper, in my opinion, is the listening paper (25%), the aural skills question in particular. I am repeating this year and I'm doing music again, and I'm very fortunate that the set works did not change, if they had changed, I might have reconsidered my subject choice. The set works change from course a to course b every 3/4 years I believe. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

hitchcock wrote: »
    Music: if you're comfortable/confident playing your instrument, it is a great subject to choose, because the practical is worth 50%. And the music technology option within the music practical is very easy to learn, you get marks for saving, retrieving from desktop and printing your 16 bar score. Doing well in the composition paper (25%) is just down to practice, 2 questions a melody and harmony and the only variables are whether its minor/major, or upbeat, or 6/8 time. They get much easier after practice. The hardest part of the paper, in my opinion, is the listening paper (25%), the aural skills question in particular. I am repeating this year and I'm doing music again, and I'm very fortunate that the set works did not change, if they had changed, I might have reconsidered my subject choice. The set works change from course a to course b every 3/4 years I believe. Hope this helps :)

The set works are going to be different next year, this year is the last time set A will be examined for another 3 years. Next year, it'll be The Beatles, Mozart, Berlioz and some chap called Deane.

hitchcock wrote: »

Practical I'm not very worried. It's just the set work that's kind of.. Scaring me ._. I wonder if we can get it done in a year...
    I did... 4 solo pieces, and 1 one syballus for my practical.. hopefully i can use the same peieces next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Elceeney

Geography - I love it. Project will give you an easy 20% (I'm pretty sure it's 20, could be wrong tho.) The regional side of it is pretty much common sense and the physical is interesting. The elective (biomes/soil for me) is easily learned. I'd totally advise you to do it.

Elceeney wrote: »
    Geography - I love it. Project will give you an easy 20% (I'm pretty sure it's 20, could be wrong tho.) The regional side of it is pretty much common sense and the physical is interesting. The elective (biomes/soil for me) is easily learned. I'd totally advise you to do it.

Does the project take long to complete?? :/ is the course long?? Doable in a year yes?? U reckon. I might pick up two new subjects next year.. So I probably would have quite sometime for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

-geography
    -home econimics
    -Japanese
    -art
    -music

Home ec is my favourite subject but it is harder to do well in than a lot of people think!There is actually a lot of theory work but its not too hard to understand.I am repeating this year and i'm doing home-ec again but some people in my class who just took it up are struggling a bit.

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Home ec is my favourite subject but it is harder to do well in than a lot of people think!There is actually a lot of theory work but its not too hard to understand.I am repeating this year and i'm doing home-ec again but some people in my class who just took it up are struggling a bit.

I have done home economics for my junior cert. Unfortunately I have never succeed in studying it properly and failed to get an A. However, I have achieved a B. As I proceed into senior cycle, I did not do home economics. Instead I had biology and chemistry... Which now I wonder, would that help me to a certain extent if I have picked up home economics for next year? And is it possible to achieve an A? I am possibly only going to pick up one new subject, which it is where my main concentration lies. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I have done home economics for my junior cert. Unfortunately I have never succeed in studying it properly and failed to get an A. However, I have achieved a B. As I proceed into senior cycle, I did not do home economics. Instead I had biology and chemistry... Which now I wonder, would that help me to a certain extent if I have picked up home economics for next year? And is it possible to achieve an A? I am possibly only going to pick up one new subject, which it is where my main concentration lies. Thanks again!

There is very few parts of the junior cert course linked to the leaving cert course for home ec. I got an A in junior cert home ec and although i loved the subject i only managed to get a B in the leaving , it has a lower rate of A's than some other subjects, it is possible but difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

What's ag science and physics like for repeats?

HugsiePie wrote: »
    What's ag science and physics like for repeats?

What level maths are you doing??
    I myself didn't do physics, but I have being warned. It is not easy. You have to be at least a B standard student in hl maths to be able to remain stable with it. However, it is not to say it's not doable. My chemistry teacher is a physic teacher too... She said - she had a student, failed her mock, yet got an A1! It's not impossible!! 20.8% students gets A!

Ag science... I am dying to do that subject myself!! It seemed very student friendly. But I heard, the project like any other, isn't nice! It's hard to score high, because many people make up stuff. Many farm visits, collecting worms etc. lol - My info could be wrong, but that's what I have heard. I had a look at the exam paper, it looked very nice. A lot of stuff I believe me, as a biology student can actually answer. It's a short course, very doable in a year! 9.9% gets A grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

Do not do geography it is sooo long we did it for 2 years and barely got the course finished. Also its near impossible to get an A.

Advertisement