Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers/illness

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

What can I do if I get sick while claiming job seekers benefit. Will I get a doctors cert. Will my job seekers return when illness is over .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If it is a short term illness get a form called an MC1 from your GP, this is the application for Illness Benefit, and leave to your SW office. Each week you are unfit for work you leave in an MC2 form. It takes a couple of weeks to set up but your JB payment may stop immediately. If there is a delay in payment your local CWO can help you. Once you receive your final cert you will need to reapply for the JB.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭me4many

That's great. Thank you for that information. Just one further question when you say reapply do I have to meet with social welfare and fill out more forms or will my benefit just start up again once I let them know that illness is over and I'm available for work.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

me4many wrote: »
    That's great. Thank you for that information. Just one further question when you say reapply do I have to meet with social welfare and fill out more forms or will my benefit just start up again once I let them know that illness is over and I'm available for work.
    Thanks.

Unfortunately it will be a new claim unless they only suspended it for the period of IB. It will depend on how long you are on IB and on the office you deal with, different offices can have different procedures.

A question on filling out the form from doctor for this man.
    It ask if the spouse (wife in this case) has any other income from various places.
    It seems her husband has savings (in the bank) from redundancy last year approx €80k. He also gets a work pension of about 11/12 €K a year starting last year. At the moment the total cash income is what he gets from SWB for himself and his wife plus that pension. The couple are in early 60's

She has a house in her name. There is no income from this as it is not habitable at present and wont be for the forseeable future.

Given above how should that be treated on the form.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A question on filling out the form from doctor for this man.
    It ask if the spouse (wife in this case) has any other income from various places.
    It seems her husband has savings (in the bank) from redundancy last year approx €80k. He also gets a work pension of about 11/12 €K a year starting last year. At the moment the total cash income is what he gets from SWB for himself and his wife plus that pension. The couple are in early 60's

She has a house in her name. There is no income from this as it is not habitable at present and wont be for the forseeable future.

Given above how should that be treated on the form.

Thanks.

Illness Benefit is not means tested, are you sure you need to fill in that section!

• Advertisement

On part two of the form it asks for spouse details ... has she any other income and it gives examples. Its the part where you claim extra for your spouse. She is already getting that extra money as part of her husbands SWB.
    There is no income other than stated above. The money in the bank and the house are there but there is no income from either.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

On part two of the form it asks for spouse details ... has she any other income and it gives examples. Its the part where you claim extra for your spouse. She is already getting that extra money as part of her husbands SWB.
    There is no income other than stated above. The money in the bank and the house are there but there is no income from either.

Thanks
    The personal rate of Illness Benefit is based on contributions paid and so not means tested, so anything the "sick person" has (house, private pension, savings) isn't taken into consideration.

The amount of an increase for an adult dependent (wife) is based on her situation (pension, earnings, property). If she doesn't have income in her own right, then you just write that/tick relevant box.

Thanks for that info. I just wanted to make sure the form would be filled out correctly.

Thanks

The form has now been completed and posted to illness benefit office.

The doctor says it will probably be a few weeks before he will be giving a final cert.
    Job seekers benefit also runs out in a few of weeks.
    As said earlier it can take a couple of weeks to process illness benefit .

This looks a bit messy. Do you have any idea how this might work out or what he should do next..if anything.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The doctor says it will probably be a few weeks before he will be giving a final cert.

This looks a bit messy. Do you have any idea how this might work out or what he should do next..if anything.

Thanks.

I'm a little confused. In your opening post you referred to yourself. Then in your 3rd post, you referred to "this man". :confused:. In any case when JSB or IB runs out the spouses income & savings will be taken into account in any further claim. You need to have a good look at www.welfare.ie & in particular how savings is assessed. 80k is a lot of savings. The good news is that the first 40k is disregarded. Then the remainder is assessed in bands of 10k. You'll have to calculate the means yourself. Also if there is an occupational pension, that will also be assessed in full.

• Advertisement

I'm a little confused. In your opening post you referred to yourself. Then in your 3rd post, you referred to "this man". :confused:. In any case when JSB or IB runs out the spouses income & savings will be taken into account in any further claim. You need to have a good look at www.welfare.ie & in particular how savings is assessed. 80k is a lot of savings. The good news is that the first 40k is disregarded. Then the remainder is assessed in bands of 10k. You'll have to calculate the means yourself. Also if there is an occupational pension, that will also be assessed in full.
    I certainly am no secretary/typist. I am asking the question on behalf of ..see user name. ( I wouldn't mind having 80K ).
    I will read up on the welfare site.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks.

From day of receiving form, the Illness Benefit takes approx 6-10 working days for it to be processed. However if JB has been paid past the first day of Illness, it will take a little longer as the overlap of the two claims has to be dealt with between Illness & Jobseekers. If this is taking too long, the CWO can help with an interim payment, however this is a further overlap & could delay the processing further so if financially possible, try to avoid this.

BSSSTR wrote: »
    From day of receiving form, the Illness Benefit takes approx 6-10 working days for it to be processed. However if JB has been paid past the first day of Illness, it will take a little longer as the overlap of the two claims has to be dealt with between Illness & Jobseekers. If this is taking too long, the CWO can help with an interim payment, however this is a further overlap & could delay the processing further so if financially possible, try to avoid this.

Would it be acceptable to simply contact the local local social welfare office and let them know that an illness cert has been lodged and ask them to stop unemployment benefit payment in the meantime.

Thanks

Advertisement