Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noctilucent cloud display on now

Options
  • 31-05-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello all,

I've been told that there is a noctilucent display on at the moment.
    Have a look north if you have dark skies.

Michael.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

damn cloud moved down on top of us here about 11 or I would have seen this ..bah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I might take a walk outside to see if i can see any. The sunrise might catch them. Or it might just be really cloudy...back in a mo.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Nope! Zippity.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi all,

Many thanks Michael for posting up the alert to this forum and the IFAS one.

Just transcribing my two posts on www.irishastronomy.org ...

I observed the NLC display near Ashbourne but don't know the roads round there well enough to find a spot without a town on the horizon being in the photos -- must study the OS maps weekend!

I took a few images at different settings but it will be a couple of days before getting to check them on the PC.

I first noticed part of the display from home in Terenure after having frequently checked the new AIM image feature on www.spaceweather.com during Thursday evening -- it's the little graphic below the solar data on the left side of the SW home page. The graphic is based on near-realtime data from the AIM satellite that is studying Polar Mesospheric Clouds (NLCs and nacreous/mother-of-pearl clouds are some of the main types).

An excellent primer on NLCs is Martin McKenna's article at www.nightskyhunter.com/Noctilucent%20Clouds.html

Paul Evans in Larne took some pics last night and they are posted at spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=82641

There's more photos from different observers on the general SW gallery at spaceweather.com/gallery/index.php

Though it pains me to say it, if it is cloudy in Dublin tonight then I'll be able to catch up on all the lost sleep over the past week!

From the "Supermoon" last Friday evening which was awesome as it rose, to the planetary trio, to day-time halos and night-time NLCs, it's been an amazing 7 days of sky sights. Some subtle, some obvious, after getting home last night I was thinking that all of the sights did not require a telescope or any expensive equipment -- the majority of phenomena seen were with the unaided eye, with binoculars to tease out one or two. It really goes to show that awareness, awareness, awareness, is key.

Keep looking up!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mercury at sunset.
    Noctilucent clouds at ~2am (pics to follow)
    And shooting star to round the evening up.

...nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

may-2013-noctilucent-clouds-4-800px_zps621de3db.jpg

may-2013-noctilucent-clouds-1-800px_zps32d93a1e.jpg

may-2013-noctilucent-clouds-3-800px_zps88f4e542.jpg

may-2013-noctilucent-clouds-2-800px_zpsf12a2e9c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

think this was 2 nights ago looking north towards Bloody Foreland from Loch An Iuir

I had wrong lens on (macro) and no tripod so not the best pics but gives you an idea.This was about 1:15 a.m.

best I've ever seen--think the only I've ever seen in fact

7310E2085FCA4DCAA885C9291F644F74-0000355662-0003275441-00800L-52CA71FA6D4D4BDBAB92E512BB352A4A.jpg

6353660E878B4C2FB57154DB6C19ECA0-0000355662-0003275440-00800L-176D5D1247EE4F5D8ADBB7E3C7D5A276.jpg

Advertisement