Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot live with parents anymore, 2 more years to go in college, what are my options?

Options
  • 30-05-2013 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so mixed up personal circumstances, I cannot live with my parents anymore. I am going to college and doing Level 8 course in higher computing. I have two more years to go, I am doing intership (working officially but without pay) in a company. Currently I've been living with parents in city center in Dublin, I have my own car luckly I paid insurance and tax for a year ahead so I am set for whole year and not to bother with it. I was receiving grants every 3 months from DCC (applied back when SUSI wasn't introduced) and I was getting 800 euros every 3 months as my parents are unemployed, btw I live only with mother so more to say "parent".

So now I have to move out and I was wondering what are my options?

I wouldn't mind moving out far into Ireland, like Drogheda, Bettystown, Dundalk etc.. as I can travel by car no problem. Well any city further than 45 km (for obvious reasons).

Is there some kind of rent allowance I can get even though I haven't worked officially in Ireland for 2 years? Officially I've worked only 6 months in Ireland and taxes were paid in full (if that matters)

I am 20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you are a full time student you generally cannot claim social welfare so no - I don't think you could claim rent allowance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

If you are a full time student you generally cannot claim social welfare so no - I don't think you could claim rent allowance.

So my only option pretty much is just stay with grant and use that money for rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

arleitiss wrote: »
    So my only option pretty much is just stay with grant and use that money for rent?

Well yeah - there is also the student assistance fund but that doesn't really open til September

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7235/student-assistance-fund/index.html

and possibly the st vincent depaul if the situation is that dire

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement