Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics or business???

Options
  • 30-05-2013 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

So i want to pick up another subject for next year. I just finished 5th year. I do accountacy at the moment and its one of my strongest subjects and also i have an interest in business subjects. I wanna pick up one more subject but i dont know whether to do economics or business. I heard that economics course is short but is it hard to understand and is it easy to learn yourself. Is it possible to get the course done(ill do some work during the summer for it :p)is it possible to get a high grade in it like in the As and high Bs?....i dont know much about the business course but the same questions apply..which one would be the better option...has anyone picked up either one of the subjects outside of school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I do economics and I like it! It's true there's a lot of definitions and learning of supply curves and stuff but If you have an interest in business & how the economy works I think you'd like it. I personally think its a fascinating subject. I do it outside of school and while I have a grinds teacher I think the rapid revision book is essential and the positive economics book (?? not sure of the name but I know it's on schoolbooks.ie) is meant to be excellent!

I don't do business but I sit in on the class because of the way my timetable worked out and I think economics might be the easier of the two to take up in a year. apparently the ABQ questions are really difficult in business as well. I don't know though so many some business student might comment saying the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Pk9712

a0ifee wrote: »
    I do economics and I like it! It's true there's a lot of definitions and learning of supply curves and stuff but If you have an interest in business & how the economy works I think you'd like it. I personally think its a fascinating subject. I do it outside of school and while I have a grinds teacher I think the rapid revision book is essential and the positive economics book (?? not sure of the name but I know it's on schoolbooks.ie) is meant to be excellent!

I don't do business but I sit in on the class because of the way my timetable worked out and I think economics might be the easier of the two to take up in a year. apparently the ABQ questions are really difficult in business as well. I don't know though so many some business student might comment saying the opposite!

Thanks for advice and i was wondering what book to get so thanks for suggesting that :p can i ask when you picked it up? And do you think its possible to get an A or high B in it without grinds?...is it easy to understand without grinds also??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

I did Business only for the LC, and in college I chose a Business degree, and I regret not doing Accounting and Economics. So if you enjoy business - do economics. It'll stand to you in college.
    But, the business subject for LC is very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Pk9712 wrote: »
    So i want to pick up another subject for next year. I just finished 5th year. I do accountacy at the moment and its one of my strongest subjects and also i have an interest in business subjects. I wanna pick up one more subject but i dont know whether to do economics or business. I heard that economics course is short but is it hard to understand and is it easy to learn yourself. Is it possible to get the course done(ill do some work during the summer for it :p)is it possible to get a high grade in it like in the As and high Bs?....i dont know much about the business course but the same questions apply..which one would be the better option...has anyone picked up either one of the subjects outside of school?

Hi, i do both business and economics and i like both! I am repeating the leaving this year and just took up economics for the year and its fine but i did very well in business last year i just found it easy enough .The course for economics is definitely shorter than business but maybe a little harder to understand , do you have any specific questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Economics is a short course but the paper can be a right **** and an A student could get a B on a hard paper. And its hard to get all the answers for the questions as you have to think of stuff on the day.

Business on the other hand as my teacher said is just learn the ****ing book and you will get an A1 if you have good exam technique. I do both and find economics is easier to learn but I know at most I can get a B1. But I know I can get an A1 in business.

Get people in business as its really good. And get the study skills book for it and you'll do well

• Advertisement

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi, i do both business and economics and i like both! I am repeating the leaving this year and just took up economics for the year and its fine but i did very well in business last year i just found it easy enough .The course for economics is definitely shorter than business but maybe a little harder to understand , do you have any specific questions?
    Thanks so much..and was there alot of time needed for business. Like i dont mind putting the time in during summer but obviously ill have other subjects when i go back so do you think its possible to learn the coarse done and not rushed??and are the questions repetitive and patterned?? And are the economic questions repetitive too..in pattern?

hfallada wrote: »
    Economics is a short course but the paper can be a right **** and an A student could get a B on a hard paper. And its hard to get all the answers for the questions as you have to think of stuff on the day.

Business on the other hand as my teacher said is just learn the ****ing book and you will get an A1 if you have good exam technique. I do both and find economics is easier to learn but I know at most I can get a B1. But I know I can get an A1 in business.

Get people in business as its really good. And get the study skills book for it and you'll do well
    Thanks so much..so you think time wise economics but points wise business...do you think i can finish the coarse on time and not rushed without a teacher??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'd say business. You don't need to be intelligent or understand it's literally just learning it off = A1. Marking schemes are your friend take a look and turn the essay style answers into bullet points and your on the road for an A1. 2014 is the easy year for ABQs anyway think its units 1-4 which if you look they are the easy ones imo.

If you're getting a book get a good one ours isn't great we've never opened it (just finishing 5th year). You'll like business just make real life examples of everything :) Good luck!

Aspiring wrote: »
    I'd say business. You don't need to be intelligent or understand it's literally just learning it off = A1. Marking schemes are your friend take a look and turn the essay style answers into bullet points and your on the road for an A1. 2014 is the easy year for ABQs anyway think its units 1-4 which if you look they are the easy ones imo.

If you're getting a book get a good one ours isn't great we've never opened it (just finishing 5th year). You'll like business just make real life examples of everything :) Good luck!

Thanks for great advice:p

Advertisement