Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly rod

Options
  • 30-05-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a new fly rod set up. For the last 2 years I have been using a cheapish 6/7 weight, 9ft rod with floating line, that only cost me about €30 at the time. I normally fish mainly on the river Nore with wet flies for trout but would like to start fishing with dry flies also.
    I was wondering what weight rods people would recommend and what reels and floating or sinking lines? My maximum price range would be about €150.
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I just bought a greys gs2 fly rod #7. i paid 110. i always had a cheap rod like yourself since i started flyfishing maybe ten years ago. i caught a few nice fish with it all d same.my new rod is pretty nice i have taken it out just once but it has a much better casting action than my old cheap rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

The line is very important. A good Rio line will be around 50 euro. you don't want to be using a cheap fly line especially if you're going to be using dry flies. I would also recommend that you use a tapered leader as this will help your fly turnover and help your presentation. I used to never bother with a tapered leader and I have found that it does make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

Airflo Delta classic great rod, awarded in (Im not sure if it this date of trout and salmon) 2012 or 2011 u can buy them for about 85£ in glasglow angling centre

• Registered Users Posts: 38 toof

slaneylad wrote: »
    The line is very important. A good Rio line will be around 50 euro. you don't want to be using a cheap fly line especially if you're going to be using dry flies. I would also recommend that you use a tapered leader as this will help your fly turnover and help your presentation. I used to never bother with a tapered leader and I have found that it does make a difference.

Would you recommend a floating or sinking line?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

floating line for dry fly and for wets too. I would only use sinking line if Im fishing for rainbow trout in a stocked lake

• Advertisement
Advertisement