Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for print

Options
  • 30-05-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Up until now ive always processed for screen output. But from having a quick look around preparing for print should be done in CMYK? Anyone have any good tutorials/tips?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what kind of print

if your doing photo prints they should be rgb not cmyk

magazines etc are done using cmyk, but i would suggest you send rgb files to the print house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I think this will help you its full artwork guide

Process Colour
    All artwork supplied must be based in CMYK unless a spot/pantone colour is also specified. We are well equipped to run five-colour work if required. It is essential that black text is generated using only the black plate.
    Process Colour

Printing Resolutions
    When scanning images for print, please ensure that they have a resolution of at least 300dpi
    Printing Resolutions

Supplying Files
    For best results send files in PDF format. If you supply files that are RGB or unspecified spot/pantone colours they will automatically be converted to CMYK, this can slightly change colours as they may appear different from what is seen on screen.

You will be prompted to upload your files/artwork, supplying your partner username or order ID which will be sent to you via email when you purchase online. This is a 24 hour service to ensure a fast turnaround.

Supplying Files

For best results send files in PDF format. If you supply files that are RGB or unspecified spot/pantone colours they will automatically be converted to CMYK, this can slightly change colours as they may appear different from what is seen on screen.

You will be prompted to upload your files/artwork, supplying your partner username or order ID which will be sent to you via email when you purchase online. This is a 24 hour service to ensure a fast turnaround.

Paper Sizes and Bleeds

When supplying files, please allow a 3mm bleed on all sides of artwork. When positioning text, please allow 3mm from the edge of the finished document to allow for cutting.

Colour Reproduction

We will provide you with a colour proof copy on request, but this is not an exact colour match. We can provide a 'spot' colour service if required.

Source:Quinns the printers artwork guide

That's applies to general print, not photo printing.

As mentioned above (by somebody who prints photos for a living). RGB for photos - wider gamut and photo printers are set up to print from RGB files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ah ok, well the scenario would be simply getting a high quality print on the wall, with fairly accurate colour reproduction (from the screen). Is there anything that would need to be done specifically or should I just process as normal?
    (I see lightroom has specific print export options)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Go and do the next SineadW workshop!! ;)

hehe if the price is right!

• Advertisement

or come and see me, can show you what to do and then print it for you :-))

stcstc wrote: »
    or come and see me, can show you what to do and then print it for you :-))

I just might..... you are in dublin methinks? I have one that you framed for me, it came out v good indeed!

yea in dun laoghaire

Advertisement