Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SELLING SHOES ON LINE

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi guys ! what do you think about selling shoes on line ?
    only on line . I dont mean expensive brand shoes ,but good quality and price , runing shoes again not branded but very good quality.
    casual shoes .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Are you thinking of setting up a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Strange but footware is the one thing I won't buy online as I need to try them on and often reject the first ones I try in shops because fit or comfort are wrong. I've seen ladies try 6 or7 pairs and not buy any of them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi guys ! what do you think about selling shoes on line ?
    only on line . I dont mean expensive brand shoes ,but good quality and price , runing shoes again not branded but very good quality.
    casual shoes .
    Thanks

Sounds like you're going to open an online branch of Penneys!

If they're not branded then people can't go into a bricks and mortar shop, try the different sizes and then go home and order from you which means that probably nobody will buy your stock.

It's not a huge deal if you buy an article of clothing via mail order that's a bit too big or small when you put it on, it is a big deal if you buy shoes that don't fit. You can't shed a few pounds to make a shoe fit if it's too small.

coylemj wrote: »
    Sounds like you're going to open an online branch of Penneys!

If they're not branded then people can't go into a bricks and mortar shop, try the different sizes and then go home and order from you which means that probably nobody will buy your stock.

It's not a huge deal if you buy an article of clothing via mail order that's a bit too big or small when you put it on, it is a big deal if you buy shoes that don't fit. You can't shed a few pounds to make a shoe fit if it's too small.
    Also, shoes are one of the products stores usually don't allow you exchange.
    I'd hate to think I'd buy shoes online that somebody with a foot fungus had tried on and returned!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Also, shoes are one of the products stores usually don't allow you exchange.
    I'd hate to think I'd buy shoes online that somebody with a foot fungus had tried on and returned!
    So do you never try on shoes in a shoe shop and only buy shoes that come in sealed box (I've never seen a sealed shoe box)?

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    So do you never try on shoes in a shoe shop and only buy shoes that come in sealed box (I've never seen a sealed shoe box)?

No, but stores insist you wear socks and even supply pop socks for ladies. Also, a 2 minute shop trial is very different from what would possibly happen with people at home. Anyway, just my own feels on the subject, as requested by the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 on line shoes

Hi DUDARA

Yes I am thinking to set a shoe shop on line

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I've purchased shoes online previously, often a brand I know, also that their size 5 fits me perfectly etc. If you have shoe measurements available, it can be helpful esp with unknown brands. The only deterrent for me shoe shopping online is return costs. With weight and size(box, and esp boots!) the postage is high. If you could accommodate this in some way it might help.

Hi Srameen !

exchange shoes ??

No problem at all !!

You don't have to buy if you do want , can allways give back.
    That's the law !! But some Retailers try to get away with this.

The returned shoes I am not going to sell again for the same price.
    I'll sell it as we call it (job a lots) .

Thanks

Hi Srameen !

exchange shoes ??

No problem at all !!

The returned shoes I am not going to sell again for the same price.
    I'll sell it as we call it (job a lots) .

Thanks
    Fair enough. Just my immediate reaction. My wife and 3 adult daughters are sitting here amazed at the thought of buying shoes that they don't know who wore them or for how long. The biggest stumbling block though is size and fit. As it is, about 30% of the clothes they buy online have to be returned because they don't fit properly and while most is free post, it's still a pain to do. Good luck with it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi DUDARA

Yes I am thinking to set a shoe shop on line

OK - since you're looking at this as a business, I'm moving this thread to the Entrepreneurial & Business Management forum

dudara

branch of Penneys ??
    well Penneys or Dunnes Stores what's the difference ?

No I am not going to sell that kind of shoes those shoes are made in Asia wich it cost to them about $1 a pair .
    I will have European shoes it cost more but quality is much better !
    Because is not branded does not mean is not good .

Well second issue,
    if Ireland has big problem with money and austerity people are saying can not pay the new house tax wich is 100 euro a year , but can afford to buy 100 euro shoes ???

Well I understand there's people like that , but if I can't afford to pay certain things , I got to pay a bit cheaper .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi Srameen !

exchange shoes ??

No problem at all !!

The change of mind law is only for distance selling within 7 days of receiving the item(s). If you buy something in a shop you can't exchange for change of mind, only if the item(s) is faulty.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

There seems to be a lot of negativity here regarding the OP's post. I'm a little surprised if I'm honest, has no one here heard of Zappos in the US? Which sold to amazon for 1.2Billion USD and they started out selling shoes online.

I'm involved in this sector in Ireland also so i feel comfortable confirming that there is market potential here - Clothing.ie have a huge volume of shoe sales. But it is a tough and competitive game.

The problem with unbranded shoes is that as others have mentioned some people aren't comfortable with sizes, people often buy two pairs and choose which ones fit best. At the moment we offer free delivery and free courier collections on returns to get around this barrier to entry but it's an expensive proposition as we have found that some do take advantage.

On the other hand shoes that are branded make a little more sense because people know if they have a pair of converse that fit well, then they can order a new colour in them and it will fit fine. For those reasons it's easier to sell known brands online and also offer them at cheaper prices as the returns are far lower on established brands like that.

Unfortunately there has been a number of poor quality ladies shoe sites in ireland offering cheap chinese replica shoes in the last few years and so it is an up hill battle to get customer confidence as a new retailer.

Best of luck with the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Ronan beat me to it. I was just going to post a link to zappos and leave it at that. ;)

I read a few weeks ago that shoe sizes for online retailers have become more "standardised" so that there's no difference in size from one store to the next. Anyway, by all accounts it's a tough business to get a foothold in ... :D:D:D

Hi Ronan

Thanks for you comment !!

Yes the problem is : Chinese replica , and in Ireland that is a problem because most of the shops selling not branded shoes comes all from Asia countrys. I will not mention ,but at least 3 big companys in this country where a lot and a lot of people buy shoes , they all sell those kind of shoes those people need to try 5 times before it fits the correct size lolololololo !!!! sorry !!!

By the way I liked you internet page . and as you said this words must cost you a bit :

Buy it to try it, If you don't love it we'll send a courier out to you to collect it! At our expense!

DubTony

HHHEEHEEH YOU HAD THE SAME thoughts as Ronan .

and you know what ? I was surfing that site and reading about them 2 weeks ago as well.

-as you said it is hard job but we have to keep figthing !

cheers mate !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 adsw

Think you would struggle with this one without having a lot of money to throw in. You would need a large amount of stock to cover all sizes, colours etc.. and the market is very competitive. That being said, if you look at the internet retailer top 500 lists a fair share of those are shoe retailers so there must be money in it - but all would have a large budget.

Check out justfab.co.uk and their wiki page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JustFab to see how they are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I buy online all the time and have no problem buying running and cycling shoes. You would need to have an easy to use returns policy.

I couldn't see myself ever buying unbranded running shoes though. I could see myself buying unbranded casual shoes but running shoes are too technical to risk on an unknown brand IMO.

adsw wrote: »
    That being said, if you look at the internet retailer top 500 lists a fair share of those are shoe retailers so there must be money in it - but all would have a large budget.

So are you saying he'd need to be fairly well heeled to begin with? :D:D:D

• Advertisement

adsw

Yes it's true , but sometimes with hard work it pays off . But as you :market is very competitive!!

Cheers

Wait! Wait! Wait! I'm not finished yet.

OP, If you go ahead with this you'll have to put your heart and SOLE into it.

Ba-Dum-Tisch !!!

:D:D:p:cool: He's got the hat trick :cool::p:D:D

cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

DubTony wrote: »
    Wait! Wait! Wait! I'm not finished yet.

OP, If you go ahead with this you'll have to put your heart and SOLE into it.

Ba-Dum-Tisch !!!

:D:D:p:cool: He's got the hat trick :cool::p:D:D

cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif

om
    hahahe ehheheheh very good humor from you !

cheers !! you will end up buying my shoes on day !

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭zagro

Top selling internet items:
    1) Software, Books, Music, Flowers
    2) Computer Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Office Supplies
    3) Apparel, Footwear, Jewelry, Linens / Home Decor

om
    hahahe ehheheheh very good humor from you !

cheers !! you will end up buying my shoes on day !

Unless I open an online shoe store myself. Then we'll be going ...

wait for it

Toe to Toe

crying-with-laughter.gif

zagro wrote: »
    Top selling internet items:
    1) Software, Books, Music, Flowers
    2) Computer Hardware, Consumer Electronics, Office Supplies
    3) Apparel, Footwear, Jewelry, Linens / Home Decor

Thanks for the ideas ! everything single idea is very important at this moment !

Advertisement