Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exclusive Rights Question

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    A restaurant business wants exclusive rights to an image I have.
    The image is an important one to me as it forms a series I would like to exhibit and sell at some point in the near future.
    Would anyone have any idea how to cost or approach this?
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I think the question is how important is your exhibition to you?

If they're asking for exclusive rights they're probably aware it won't be cheap so it could be a nice bit of change for you, but if its at the detriment of your exhibition, only you can decide if its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

Hi,
    A restaurant business wants exclusive rights to an image I have.
    The image is an important one to me as it forms a series I would like to exhibit and sell at some point in the near future.
    Would anyone have any idea how to cost or approach this?
    Many thanks.

you can sell them exclusive rights to use the image (ie. so no other commercial business or any other business will use it) - but also that you retain the copyright and right to reproduce but not sell as an individual print (which allows you to sell the full series and also to exhibit the image)

as regards cost ... depends on your level of comfort and experience/dependence on sales in your photography...pick a number and add a few zero's to it....only kidding the price should be reflective of the licence agreement, you are giving them the exclusive rights to use the image whatever way they want:
    posters, flyers, advertising, menu's, website(s), magazine(s), newspaper(s), local, national, international (European and Worldwide usage), TV usage etc etc

This is the point at which your sales skills come into play - how to sell your image and market your image so that the buyer doesn't realise they are spending money on something which could be cheaper to recreate

this might be out of date but gives a guideline http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/index.php?&section=Photography&subsect=All&subsubs=All.

Advertisement