Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography geoecology

Options
  • 30-05-2013 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

For geoecology, will there always be atleast one question on a biome? I heard someone say the other day that there was a chance of there being no biome questions, and all of them being soil. Can someone please confirm whether this is possible or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭007driver

Im not sure if its possible but there has been a question on both every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

My teacher said she'd be very surprised if characteristics of a biome wasn't on this year. I can't see them putting on three soil questions in a row anyway. I know they're trying to make the paper more tricky and everything, but it seems unlikely that they wouldn't have at least one biome question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Our teacher told us there has to be atleast one biome question?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Will it be okay to learn just characteristics of a biome and human activities?

A grinds school is saying that the curriculum doesn't guarantee a biome question so they would expect no biome to come up.

• Advertisement

A grinds school is saying that the curriculum doesn't guarantee a biome question so they would expect no biome to come up.

There's been a biome question every single year thus far. I do realise they're trying to eliminate predictable papers recently, but that doesn't mean that they'll change every established norm just for the sake of it.

Predictions are just educated guesses at the end of the day, and we can't say who's right and who's wrong, but I would be extremely surprised if there was no biome question! I will learn my soils of course, I'm not going to gamble on it, but to examine geoecology and ignore biomes seems odd to me.

I do see them throwing in one of those "two factors" questions to try and throw us, as even when they state that you still have to formulate a 3-4 aspect answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There is only 7/8 geoecology questions. All you have to do is learn 4 aspects @ 4 marks each and 6 srps.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

Weve been told to learn brown earth soils for the question asking to discuss the formation and characteristics of a named soil.
    It's come up in 2007 and 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JOS2013

Weve been told to learn brown earth soils for the question asking to discuss the formation and characteristics of a named soil.
    It's come up in 2007 and 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I thought I could count on two Biome questions this year...

• Advertisement

I thought I could count on two Biome questions this year...

That hasn't happened in a while so it's a possibility. I don't think the geoecology section is going to be too difficult this year, if we've prepared the standard few essays. The only way they could throw us is with the "two factor" thing which is easy to deal with once you recognise it, just write two aspects on each factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

That hasn't happened in a while so it's a possibility. I don't think the geoecology section is going to be too difficult this year, if we've prepared the standard few essays. The only way they could throw us is with the "two factor" thing which is easy to deal with once you recognise it, just write two aspects on each factor!

They've roatated it yearly, two Biome questions, one Soil question and versa vice since the inception of the course I think and this year it's the Biome's time to shine.

Of course they could be nasty and chuck up two Soilers put given how all the sample papers and mock papers contain 2 Biomes I think I'm good.

I know what you're saying that it's an established norm but it is not written in stone. The SEC have figured people are learning every biome question and leaving soils out completely and they don't want course content being ignored.
    Just passing on information.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chelseafan2895

I've learned characteristics of a biome and of a brown earth and how natural process effect soil and human activities affect soil is that Anough or should I do another one ??

I've learned characteristics of a biome and of a brown earth and how natural process effect soil and human activities affect soil is that Anough or should I do another one ??

You should be safe enough there, was just checking back and one of those at least has come up every year so far, with two of them on some years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taraelizabeth

Are characteristics of a biome and influence of climate basically the same essay or am I doing it wrong?(except an intro paragraph on climate in influence)

Are characteristics of a biome and influence of climate basically the same essay or am I doing it wrong?(except an intro paragraph on climate in influence)

They are, essentially, the same. You just phrase the discussion of the aspects to include the climate more in the latter title.

Yep. You can still talk about the other things (soil, flora, fauna) but in relationship to climate and how the climate affects them. The way my teacher puts it is she says to "weave your points on climate in amongst the other aspects" to turn it into a climate answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭EvM

They are, essentially, the same. You just phrase the discussion of the aspects to include the climate more in the latter title.

Yeah that's exactly what mine is like. If I learn characteristics of a biome and know it really well, I find that I can use most of the points on a few other biome essays aswell, like influence of climate, adaptions of plant and animals to soil/climate. Really the only biome essay that is different is the human interaction one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jenny_ODwyer

If the biome question is 'how soils affect fauna' or whatever, my grinds teacher said it was near enough impossible to get full marks and that he couldn't even write a question on it properly. He is tipping the characteristics of a soil for the soils question

• Advertisement

If the biome question is 'how soils affect fauna' or whatever, my grinds teacher said it was near enough impossible to get full marks and that he couldn't even write a question on it properly. He is tipping the characteristics of a soil for the soils question

Could they ever be that specific?

Could they ever be that specific?

One question that came up a few years ago was how flora and fauna have adapted to the climate and soil.

EvM wrote: »
    One question that came up a few years ago was how flora and fauna have adapted to the climate and soil.

I know but 'how soils affect fauna' They don't? They affect the flora, which in turn, influences the fauna. Is this the approach we would have to take?

I know but 'how soils affect fauna' They don't? They affect the flora, which in turn, influences the fauna. Is this the approach we would have to take?

My grinds teacher said if a question like that comes up avoid it as best as possible as he he couldn't even write a 80m answer for it because there really isint enough information

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

My grinds teacher said if a question like that comes up avoid it as best as possible as he he couldn't even write a 80m answer for it because there really isint enough information

any chance do you have notes on soil characteristics/composition? Preferrably brown earths? With my notes I can only scrape 3 pages and I have big writing I don't think its enough :eek:

You're right, there's nothing you can write for soils affecting fauna. Our teacher told us that you'd have 3 paragraphs: soils affecting flora, climate affecting flora, and climate affecting fauna. The climate affecting fauna one is pretty much the same as the paragraph from impact of climate on fauna, just talking about how they have adapted to their environment which is a direct result of the climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

peekachoo wrote: »
    any chance do you have notes on soil characteristics/composition? Preferrably brown earths? With my notes I can only scrape 3 pages and I have big writing I don't think its enough :eek:

Christ almighty do they have to be 4 pages :O I wrote everything I could and I only got to 3 pages for characteristics, same for the soil forming processes. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Christ almighty do they have to be 4 pages :O I wrote everything I could and I only got to 3 pages for characteristics, same for the soil forming processes. :/

barely 3 pages and that included characteristics and composition haha but I have big writing I just don't know if I have enough srps :P

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    barely 3 pages and that included characteristics and composition haha but I have big writing I just don't know if I have enough srps :P

As long as the SRPs are there, there is nothing you can do about length. I wrote 3.5 pages in the Pre and got 80 marks with a LOT of disallowed SRPs (you only need 24 in the option essay)

• Advertisement

do you have a paragraph on soil profile? its good for srps :)

Advertisement