Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault immobiliser issue

Options
  • 30-05-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all.
    I have an 02 Renault Kangoo Kar which is running pretty well apart from an immobiliser problem.
    When I put the key into the ignition the red immobiliser light on the dash flashes rapidly and the car won't start.
    But if I insert the key into the ignition and keep the central locking button on the key pressed in as I turn the key the car starts fine.
    The problem is I have an NCT coming up and I'd imagine it's an instant fail if the guy can't start the car. I've looked around on quite a few forums but have yet to arrive at a permanent fix for this problem.
    I'd prefer to avoid having to pay a main dealer to have a look at this issue so any tips would be greatly appreciated. The names of any good independent renault mechanics in Dublin 12/14/16 would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a wild guess but perhaps the pressing of the button also compresses the fob itself? Bad connections inside? How long have you had it?
    Perhaps take it apart and have a gander just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RandR

I've taken the key apart and all the connections look Ok to my untrained eye. I've replaced the battery in the original and spare key and I have the same immobiliser problem with both keys.
    I got the car second hand about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, if you have the same issue with 2 keys it's not a key problem.
    Seems you're not the only one with immob issues on that brand.
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=453184

Go in to a service desk at some local dealer and ask a mechanic. They may know offhand what the issue is and if you can fix it yourself. Or they can give you a quote for a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Not a fix per say but for the NCT test would a bit of tape around it keep the central locking button pressed in (maybe need a bit of paper too to press it in)

Would the car then start like this?

As you leave the key in the ignition for the tester i doubt he will take it out until the test is over :)

Warning this may not be ideal and having the button pressed in for a long period might drain the battery etc :(

Not a fix per say but for the NCT test would a bit of tape around it keep the central locking button pressed in (maybe need a bit of paper too to press it in)

Would the car then start like this?

As you leave the key in the ignition for the tester i doubt he will take it out until the test is over :)

Warning this may not be ideal and having the button pressed in for a long period might drain the battery etc :(

That's the plan B if I can't get a proper fix for the immobiliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

biko wrote: »
    This is a wild guess but perhaps the pressing of the button also compresses the fob itself? Bad connections inside? How long have you had it?
    Perhaps take it apart and have a gander just in case.

That's exactly what mine was doing. The car wouldn't recognise the card unless I started pressing on it. Initially a light squeeze was enough but over a few weeks you have to increase the pressure. The problem is commonly due to a dry solder joint near the induction coil (the coil is under the arrow on the top right corner). Squeezing the car just reconnected the broken joint temporarily.

The card can be repaired, I mangled mine taking it apart and it was still repaired and didn't need recoding as the original chip was intact.
    If you can order a new card you'll have to get it recoded.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That's exactly what mine was doing. The car wouldn't recognise the card unless I started pressing on it. Initially a light squeeze was enough but over a few weeks you have to increase the pressure. The problem is commonly due to a dry solder joint near the induction coil (the coil is under the arrow on the top right corner). Squeezing the car just reconnected the broken joint temporarily.

The card can be repaired, I mangled mine taking it apart and it was still repaired and didn't need recoding as the original chip was intact.
    If you can order a new card you'll have to get it recoded.

The kangoo doesnt use keycards. Plus id say it fairly unlikely both keys developed the same issue at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

does the car have an immobiliser receiver up near the rear view interior mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

my 03 clio was same hell... both keys magically broken at same time... renault passed the buck lots having me replace immobilisor ring at €129+, they then says it was relays, then immobilisor ring agin..i got ratty withe then they says maybe their diagnostic was wrong !!but i got the cure for €40 . crank shaft sensor sorted it.. let me know it ya need help finding one

nct tester wrote: »
    does the car have an immobiliser receiver up near the rear view interior mirror?

Not sure. What would the immobiliser receiver look like ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

I've the same issue with a Kangoo van - have tried running a battery + to the immobiliser solenoid - no go demagio. Might give the crank sensor a go, that, or a can of petrol.

:)
    OK. Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got the immobiliser problem sorted. It turned out to be a key issue. I contacted Key Control Locksmiths and Darren called out and fixed the key. He had to replace a chip and code it up again. It cost €80 but the key works fine now.
    I don't know if this fix will work for other Renault immobiliser problems listed in Boards but here's the number anyway if you want to give Darren a ring - 0877020425.
    That's one thing off the NCT fail list.

Advertisement