Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Programme: large firm -VS- small firm

Options
  • 30-05-2013 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I have just completed the Accounting and Finance degree in DCU, and I'm expecting to get a 2.1.

During the year I applied for jobs in big firms, such as big4, and had no offers, which I believe may be due to my 2.2 in second year.

Recently I have applied for smaller firms, and have being offered a training contract with a very small firm (12 staff members).

I am not sure as to whether to accept this offer, as I am concerned it may affect me getting a good job after the 3 and half year contract. If I do decline the offer I am considering doing a masters in DCU and re-applying for the big 4 etc in November.

Would I be correct in thinking I may find it difficult to find a job after the contract if I do a training contract with a small firm? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

Makes no difference, each has their own pro's and cons...

Big firm pros:
    Money, prestige, 'character shaping'
    Big firm cons:
    Pigeon holed, you need that 2:1!, you'll be pretty expendable.

Small firm pros:
    Wide ranging experience (have to be a jack of all trades), more personable, given a greater degree of responsibility (ie, left to deal with clients yourself, get to know your clients better etc)
    Small firm cons:
    Pay is lower

You probably do need big 4 experience on your CV if you're going for a really high up job. But even so, can always jump ship to the big four after you're qualified if you still want it on your cv.

Either way, it's a tough time to get any job! But you've gotta do what you feel is right as it is a big commitment. You sound like your mind is made up, so fair do's - go for it! No point in being stuck for the three years thinking 'I wish I did the other route'...

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

Agree with above makes no difference. Although I do know a lot of big 4's are going back to market at moment as there was quite a few rejections. Be no harm in contacting again to see if they have any places.

Re the small firm I don't think it will make a difference in long ran an aca or acca is still qualified no matter where you trained

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

Hi there
    All depends on what you want to do in 3.5yrs time.

I worked in a small practice and it was good from the sense that, as one of the posters above said, you're a jack of all trades and that really is invaluable.

On the other hand I have friends that love Big4 for all that it is on the cv, but some find that they have been pigeon holed into one area which I personally don't think is great. If you're commited to 3yrs training you want to get the most out of it.

Now my situation is unusual enough. I broke my training contract to move into industry and have now transferred to ACCA. I'm wel behind in the exams through no fault but my own and working constraints added to it. But I wanted to work towards industry and financial controller roles and I'm happy to say I'm in a role that will bring me straight into that position when I qualify... Happy days!

If you want some insight into family run practice and the move into industry don't hesitate to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi there, i agree with other posters it makes no difference whether you go big 4 or small. I also trained ACA in a small practice and now work for a Multi National. I got into the role despite not having big 4 experience (which was one of the main points on the requirements!!) so it all depends on you as an individual, the experience you build up post qualification and roles you take on after your training contract.
    Best of luck whatever the choice you make.

Advertisement