Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it worth it??

Options
  • 30-05-2013 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

With the high cost of running a car, do you ever say to yourself 'f**k it - im selling my car and will never buy a car ever again'. If you think about it - could you manage without one?? I know a guy who did this and just hires a car when he really needs one and manages quite well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Couldnt manage without one myself. Public transport is a nightmare and I love the freedom of being able to hop in the car.

Even if i wasnt commuting I would have to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I only had this discussion with a friend of mine yesterday who claims they're so much happier without the car.

Not me though. Having spent the guts of 30 years relying on Dublin's abysmal public transport options (and there were no fancy LUAS lines or DARTs near me either) I would rather sit in traffic than on a bus.

Think about it...
    - With a car you're free to leave when you want/need to
    - Your car is ready to go when you are.. no standing around first
    - If you do run into traffic you can always reroute. Not so with a bus. No need to go through "An Lar" every time either
    - You will be warm/dry/hot/cool as you like
    - Your choice of music, not the bus driver's or the guy beside you or kids at the back with their phones
    - Always guaranteed a seat
    - No antisocial behavior
    - Shopping is much easier especially if you have kids
    - With ever increasing fares and cut backs to services the price differential is rapidly shrinking anyway

I've gone for nights out and deliberately not drank (alcohol) so I was free to just hop in the car when I left rather than dealing with the hassle of buses or leaving early to make last one etc

Car every time.. the time saved and benefits it offers wins hands down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Going to work during rush hour: train, by a wide margin

At all other times: car, by a wide margin

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a motoring forum most answers here would probably be no, by my guess. I'd imagine a large amount of regulars here have cars they want rather than what they need.

Personally, I live in the stix so having no car is not an option. If I lived in a town or city could I do without it, probably but I still like cars so I don't have to warranty the need for one to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For me, my car is a luxury. I dont have physical need for it.

I walk to work, I have 2 bicycles and herself has a car if required.

Why did i get it then ? Because Ive always wanted and M3 and life is short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have pondered this deeply, and I fail to apprehend how, as a mature man of modest but adequate means, a giant cardboard box with numerous seats which goes around in certain limited circles within the city area at half-hour or so intervals can substitute in any way for my small fleet of costly but beloved sh!theaps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When I lived in city centre that's what I did, just hired a car out for the day whenever I needed one which was only a few times per year.
    Since I now moved out to the burbs I need a car every day so that's not an option any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

In my case a car is essential, as I have a 37 mile commute to work, and don't live anywhere near a bus or train to bring me there. However my choice of car is a luxury, and I suspect for many on here, that is the case.

A Nissan Micra (shudder) would quite easily carry me to and from work each day. But I drive a landcruiser as it suits my lifestyle and spare time galavanting activities. If I didn't have it, my lifestyle would change dramatically, so it has sort of become essential for me. Yeah it costs a bit more to run, but feck it, after 5 years with it, I still smile getting behind the wheel.. Can't say I'd be the same in a Kellogg's Nissan cornflake box

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gerarda wrote: »
    With the high cost of running a car, do you ever say to yourself 'f**k it - im selling my car and will never buy a car ever again'. If you think about it - could you manage without one?? I know a guy who did this and just hires a car when he really needs one and manages quite well.

Constantly, to the first half of your first sentence.

Then I realise there's no way to work, school, shop /anything without 2 of them in the household.

What you're describing works well in, say, Netherlands, but no good here.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

My car is my soul. Couldn't live without it.

However my own car is off the road at the min, Needs quite a bit of work done to it.

But its ok. I've nicked the girlfriends car for now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

TrailerBob wrote: »
    ...If I didn't have it, my lifestyle would change dramatically...

Bingo. Nail-on-the-head. To be perfectly honest I'd feel naked and helpless without 'em. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I can't imagine my life without a car. I could possibly manage it if I lived in a large city centre and was within walking distance to work.

But I also play golf so in a very 'first world problem' sort of way, I couldn't be without a car at all.

I have a motorbike too though and while this had added to my overall motoring costs, the more I use the bike, the more I'm saving. I save on time by being able to skip traffic, don't have to worry about parking (finding or paying), save on petrol as it does about 70+ MPG compared to about 30 MPG in the car and the tax and insurance are quite low.

And I always have the option to use the car if I'm going golfing or just feeling a bit lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭J Bourke

Nemeses wrote: »
    My car is my soul. Couldn't live without it.

x2, Id have no qualms about driving a seicento if i had to, just to have a car :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

there is no public transport here
    not that i'd use it i have 4 cars and 4 bikes which means its more to do with want than need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

J Bourke wrote: »
    x2, Id have no qualms about driving a seicento if i had to, just to have a car :P

I don't think I could go that far. I don't really classify them as a car. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭The boarder

I have thought about this myself, recently had a lot of work to get done to pass the nct, have been with out my car for well over 2 weeks and actually miss it to be honest. I do use public transport as I work in town but its handy to have around to use.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I live on a bus route from door to door from home to work, but I drive. As was mentioned, its the freedom of the car (plus its half the journey time if I take the car!). I have three cars, one for my daily commute, one for sitting at home rusting away, and the other, for when the weather is like today, just driving around enjoying "driving". No radio connected, no air con, no ABS, just me and the car. Its a relationship that feels like you no other.

So, could I do without my daily driver? - Overall, yes.
    Could I do without my sunny day car? - Not a chance.

If Im going to have one, I may aswell have the other! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

I was seven years in college and got by standing at train stations/waiting at bus stops in all weather, so when I started working I was tempted to get a car but was put off by the potential costs involved. But the clincher for me came one day trying to get from Tipperary town to Kilkenny. It is a distance of one hours driving time, but between the bad weather and it being a Sunday, it took six hours (and two busses) to complete the journey. Shortly afterwards I got the car, and haven't looked back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

For me, a car is a need. There are no direct public transport links from my house to work (20mins drive) that are not two or three changes and 2+ hours.

However A car is a need - my car is a want.I had enough sh!t heaps that I just treated myself to a 535.

So in conclusion, it is both a need and a want!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

With my car i can park where i want to park, not where the bus wants to stop

car-dumpster-clunkers.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement