Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s40

Options
  • 29-05-2013 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi I currently drive a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol I'm selling it and thinking of getting a 1.8 s40 !
    Would there be much difference in fuel consumption ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Ray Mond wrote: »
    Hi I currently drive a Nissan Qashqai 1.6 petrol I'm selling it and thinking of getting a 1.8 s40 !
    Would there be much difference in fuel consumption ?

The S40 i had used to do between 8.5 -10 l / 100km

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Depends on which 1.8 litre S40 you are buying. Some of the later models were the 1.8 FFV which are heavy on juice because they were setup to run on either bioethanol or regular unleaded. Bioethanol was way cheaper than unleaded at the time which masked the additional fuel consumption but it is no longer sold in the Republic. That FFV engine also needs to be serviced every 10k km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

bazz26 wrote: »
    Depends on which 1.8 litre S40 you are buying. Some of the later models were the 1.8 FFV which are heavy on juice because they were setup to run on either bioethanol or regular unleaded. Bioethanol was way cheaper than unleaded at the time which masked the additional fuel consumption but it is no longer sold in the Republic. That FFV engine also needs to be serviced every 10k km.
    It says its just petrol! If so would that be worse than Wat I have now? Also looking at the new shape mondeo 1.6 litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.8 FFV has a badge on the boot stating it. A new shape Mondeo is a heavy car and that 1.6 litre engine struggles so fuel economy suffers.

Have you looked at the Honda Civic saloon 1.8 litre? They are very good on fuel for a 1.8 litre and still offer plenty of poke. They are very spacious on the inside too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.8 FFV has a badge on the boot stating it. A new shape Mondeo is a heavy car and that 1.6 litre engine struggles so fuel economy suffers.

Have you looked at the Honda Civic saloon 1.8 litre? They are very good on fuel for a 1.8 litre and still offer plenty of poke. They are very spacious on the inside too.
    Yeah just looked at them there they're not bad but like the look of the s40 so if its not the FFv model do u think they're ok in fuel ?
    Any other nice looking card that would be good on fuel , Audi , BMW , passat, jetta,??? Something like those ? Have 5-8 grand to spend
    Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

What kind of driving do you do? I have the regular 1.8 s40 and I get 8.0L/100km for my commute, but there's a chunk of M50 and N road involved and no bumper to bumper city stuff generally.

I'm guessing you're not looking at the flexi fuel based on your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I had an s40 for a while, I had the 1.6 diesel so can't comment on the 1.8 petrol. I liked the car but be advised there is very little legroom / space in the back and the boot is hopeless if you are carrying anything more than a sportsbag. Make sure you can live with that before you buy one, it became a real inconvenience for me after a new arrival.

Advertisement