Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for IT newbie about CCNA

Options
  • 29-05-2013 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently working in managementnaccounting for a manufacturing/service company with 5 offices in Ireland and UK and I kind of inherited the role of IT manager, I didnt know much about it when I started it 2 years ago but I'm self thought and I'm learning every day. The head office has a server which other offices remotely login to. I can solve most day to day problems but still need to call in our outside IT consultant sometimes. I'm now interested in doing a CCNA course and exams, would this, in your opinions, give me enough knowledge to completely manage our IT network? Is it the right course to do? Should I combine it with something else? The main areas I would like to be 100% on are setting up and networking computers, network troubleshooting, communications (email) and security. Thanks for any advice you may have, I dont think I want a career in IT, but nice to have options anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

"setting up and networking computers, network troubleshooting, communications (email) and security"

I would do the CompTia A+ & CompTia N+, I found them a great base for getting started in the IT industry. Then if you enjoy the networking end go on to do the CCNA

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BinaryFinary

bmwguy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently working in managementnaccounting for a manufacturing/service company with 5 offices in Ireland and UK and I kind of inherited the role of IT manager, I didnt know much about it when I started it 2 years ago but I'm self thought and I'm learning every day. The head office has a server which other offices remotely login to. I can solve most day to day problems but still need to call in our outside IT consultant sometimes. I'm now interested in doing a CCNA course and exams, would this, in your opinions, give me enough knowledge to completely manage our IT network? Is it the right course to do? Should I combine it with something else? The main areas I would like to be 100% on are setting up and networking computers, network troubleshooting, communications (email) and security. Thanks for any advice you may have, I dont think I want a career in IT, but nice to have options anyway

If you all ready work with switchers and routers be it cisco or juniper etc. then the CCNA would be a great help for sure.

Advertisement