Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do the brakes work on this trailer?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/trailers/975355

how do the brakes operate on this trailer? I understand its a light trailer and brakes don't conform to new regulations etc. Only need the trailer to carry a ride on too and fro my parents lawn about a mile each way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Most trailers have a system where the hitch on the trailer moves up and down very slightly. So when your driving along and slow down the trailer wants to keep moving thus pushing in the hitch which activates the brake. Then when you move again the hitch pulls back to the normal position which deactivates the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

as far as i know, there is a thin bar attached to the hitch that gets pulled when the car decelerates. this in turn pulls two cables that go to drum brakes slowing down the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dvae wrote: »
    as far as i know, there is a thin bar attached to the hitch that gets pulled when the car decelerates. this in turn pulls two cables that go to drum brakes slowing down the trailer.

It's called an overrun brake and it works as described above.

The hitch/draw bar is spring loaded and slides through the mounting box on the trailer and linked to the vertical lever. The lever is connected to the brakes by cable or rod. As the car slows, the inertia of the trailer pushes the hitch further into the box and pushed the lever. The lever movement pulls the cables/rods and apply the brakes. The lever travel and brake effort is in proportion to the car's deceleration. As the relative speed between car and trailer reduces, the braking effort is eased off and is completely released when the trailer and car are travelling at the same speed again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overrun_brake
    Good diagram (pdf document) here

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

as described above

as far as I can see (not too clear in the pic) these trailers do not have auto reverse, which means you have to manually latch a tongue in the hitch for reversing

this may not be a matter of concern to many but it can be p.i.t.a at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

I know someone that used to have a similar system to that described but it was hydraulics/brake fluid rather than a cable setup. The trailer had a resevoir at the front and when the towing vehicle braked a piston linked to the hitch was pushed in compressing the fluid and applying the brakes. It also had a little collar to disable the system for reversing as mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Totally illegal to sell a new trailer with this type of braking system.
    It should have an auto-reverse, Hydraulically damped, over-run braking system.
    The Brakes on the trailer the OP linked to are over 20 years out of date. If you were involved in an accident while towing this your insurer would be very interested in the trailer brakes.

Op, you would be better off buying a single axle trailer around the same size if all you want to carry is the ride-on.

edit; have a look at this one,
    http://www.jebbtools.ie/trailer/car-trailer
    Depends on what car you are using to tow, but possible to tow this one on an ordinary B licence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Avoid Jebb Tools, bad aftersales/warranty service.

Won't disagree with you there aujopimur.
    Just giving the OP an example of what might suit them (and stay within the law).

Woo-Hoo....my 1,000 post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Totally illegal to sell a new trailer with this type of braking system.
    It should have an auto-reverse, Hydraulically damped, over-run braking system.
    The Brakes on the trailer the OP linked to are over 20 years out of date. If you were involved in an accident while towing this your insurer would be very interested in the trailer brakes.

Op, you would be better off buying a single axle trailer around the same size if all you want to carry is the ride-on.

edit; have a look at this one,
    http://www.jebbtools.ie/trailer/car-trailer
    Depends on what car you are using to tow, but possible to tow this one on an ordinary B licence

its too small need an 8ft

There are plenty of 8x4 single axle unbraked trailers out there. Anything with (legal) brakes will cost at least €500 more. Have a Google and Ring around.
    Or you could get a 7x4 and just throw the ramp/tailgate in beside the Mower. I presume the wheels will fit inside...it's just the grassbox that is overhanging ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement