Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you enjoy secondary school?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hey guys I was wondering as we prepare to leave secondary school did you actually enjoy the experience and the people?

I didnt really like secondary school mainly because my school was really small and I never met people like me but I made some great friends whilst there and will definitely keep in touch whilst there are others who I will to run a country mile from if I ever meet them again:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Is a country mile longer than a regular mile? If so what is its value in terms of regular mile? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Is a country mile longer than a regular mile? If so what is its value in terms of regular mile? Thanks :)

it is about 10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Menelaun wrote: »
    Hey guys I was wondering as we prepare to leave secondary school did you actually enjoy the experience and the people?

I didnt really like secondary school mainly because my school was really small and I never met people like me but I made some great friends whilst there and will definitely keep in touch whilst there are others who I will to run a country mile from if I ever meet them again:o

My experience of secondary school was a very mixed bag.
    At times it was enjoyable (there was a few weeks in T.Y where I enjoyed waking up to the thought of school) but sometimes I hated it and avoided going,while most of the time I just put up with it and counted the days until the summer holidays,Christmas etc.
    The people,most of them were nice,with an exceptional,albeit small bunch of guys/gals being my close friends who I hope I'll never forget.
    As always, there was a contingent of d!ckheads who succeeded in making a lot of people's (myself included) lives s***,but ah well...
    Bare in mind I'm just finished 5th year,but given the school I go to I might as well be finished secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Secondary School was grand, just grand. There was very few dickheads in our school and those that were, were just forgotten about tbh.
    Secondary School will not be the pinacle of my life, I am not going to let it be the best years of my life and drift into mediocrity(from my point of view). That might sound snobbish but I hope it doesn't I am just talking from my point have view.

Whatever combination of circumstances I have grown up in have instilled in me an ambition, it's crazyily high ambitions and sometimes I feel I am going to end up like Plath(LC reference ;)), unsatisfied and depressed. However I pray I don't. So secondary school was just fine, I often took days off as I felt pretty lonely sometimes (particularly in Junior Cert years) however I have always been pretty smart and relied on that.

Wow that was really personal, something I've never actually articulated to friends, family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I will definitely look fondly back on my years in secondary although I had a mixed bag. From TY through until now were fantastic, before that I had some problems with bullying and medical conditions and you name it etc and I had a hard time making friends.

Say what you want about TY but I do not regret doing it at all! I went from being the shy girl with no friends to captaining the debate team comfortably, leading class projects and winning a load of awards by the end of the year! It genuinely shaped me as a person and made me happier and confident with new friends for the senior cycle. This made the LC (minus exams ;) ) fun and definitely fantastic memories were made.

I know we've graduated already but I'm still in school everyday this week for study etc and it won't feel like we're really done until the results come out.
    I'm not looking forward to leaving, I think just because I've just gotten comfortable with it and myself and I'm about to venture into a new college with nobody I know going to the same place as me. I'm sure it will all be fine but the thought is daunting.

Sorry for the essay once I got going I couldn't stop :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I loved school. I didn't wake up every morning looking forward to it but I can honestly say nearly everyday had at least one good thing happen.

I'm gone from school now over a week and it still don't feel real but I know come September I'm going to miss it all when i see all the other years going back. We had such a good bond with every single teacher and I will miss all the crazy random classes.

If you had told me back in 2nd year that I would not want to graduate and leave school, I would have laughed in your face. Over senior cycle I got to know everyone so much and these people who I didn't talk to in 3rd year started inviting me to parties and on nights out and we are now very close friends. As a result, I feel like I've been robbed of 3 years of the "best days of my life" because I wasn't social and I would give an arm and a leg to do them over. It's sad leaving school and I don't know if this is me just being anxious and stuff but I don't think I'll see people after school ad much as I would like and I don't like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

School was okay, some good times and some bad times. This year was actually pretty sweet, but it doesn't make up for how miserable a lot of the other years were. I'm not looking forward to leaving mainly because I don't think college life will really suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I'm not looking forward to leaving mainly because I don't think college life will really suit me.

What makes you say this, don't knock it before you try it! ;)

Personally I'm kinda looking forward to it, although I'm not looking forward to leaving home at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

TY to Sixth year were epic, Sixth year beening the most fun surprisingly

Very disappointed with college, what a let down. (Prob because i'm living at home)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I never loved secondary school, some days when I look back I do see I have a lot of good memories but overall I've been dying to get out. There are a lot of things I strive to do like travel and see the world, I feel secondary school can be too restricting and you can get to comfortable. It is challenging at times, but I guess I've just been wanting more independence than secondary school offers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Horrific enough that I refused point blank to go to graduation. Spent six years being bullied/excluded and made no friends apart from one guy last November - but he is the reason I made it through this year. So I can't look back on this in regret, which I guess is a plus.

But yeah, I was terrified of going in every day so I dont miss it. Like, I'm done and I'm still more scared of having to be in the same room as those people on Wednesday than I am of Home Economics and English 1!
    May college be better, hey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I never had any problems but I'm happy it's (nearly) over and I'm able to do whatever I want with my life.

I skipped TY, and don't regret it at all.

Ich darf machen was ich will ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

user.name wrote: »
    I never loved secondary school, some days when I look back I do see I have a lot of good memories but overall I've been dying to get out. There are a lot of things I strive to do like travel and see the world, I feel secondary school can be too restricting and you can get to comfortable. It is challenging at times, but I guess I've just been wanting more independence than secondary school offers :P

Totally understand im not going to the debs because ofvthe exclusion and bullying.I had five close friends who where there for me bu yeah college will be different because those asshats who bullied theur lives proably peaked already and inbthe long run its the peopple who where bullied who get the last laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

"Respect nerds, chances are you'll end up working for one"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭rox5

Hated it. If it wasn't for my mother being a teacher at my school and a overall strict mother, I would have bunked off so many classes if I could. I has Asperger's so growing up I was teased a bit, but no hardcore bullying. But I was still so insecure and hated myself, because I was bullied in my family home badly, so it affected my confidence going into school.

I thought 1st to TY (really regretted doing that extra year, btw) were bad enough but 5th and 6th year! My god! Suddenly majority of people were acting like "adults" and looking down upon people. One guy who likes to show off and be a big guy (even though in reality I heard he is a coward when teachers shout at him) started on me by throwing **** at me when i walked past, calling out names like "Sl*t!" and all his brain-dead cronies did the same thing. Also all have a sudden people who I did not know were bitching behind my back because of a few childish mistakes I made 5th year and would not let it go.

That and the stress of the Leaving Cert only barely made me pass, and I left the graduation afterparty after one hour, and I just did not go to my Debs (went to another friend's one to, so at least I can say I had some sort of a Debs) and I do not regret both.
    It effected me in my PLC, that I did not make the effort to make friends (I did talk to people though, but not a lot) because I was scare dof the same stuff happening again.

Advertisement