Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

battery replaced on an 18 month old astra!

Options
  • 29-05-2013 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, i drive a 2012 opel astra bought brand new in january 2012 and yesterday i was shocked to find it wouldnt start, Right enough the last few mornings i was starting it , it would give a very unusual deadish start but thought nothing of it.
    really what i want to know why the hell would a battery go in 18months and not 25000km on the clock. Ok i was well looked after by my local opel dealer and of course new battery was free but was a bit annoying if not a bit embarassing!!!!! has this happened any of ye guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Strange. What kind of usage does the car get.
    Is it left standing for long periods or just driven crazy short runs or anything unusual

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ianabbott1

not at all, i drive to work every morning, 8 miles away, parked there for day , usual trips to shops and all, its a 1.7cdti.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Batteries can be like cars, you can get a good one that lasts 11 years or more and you can get a bad one that lasts only just over a year. I reckon you were just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep could be just a poor battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

You probably left something on in the car and it drained it. I cant imagine the dealer getting a crap battery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember once having to replace a battery on a car that was less than two weeks old. It was just a dud. A neighbour has a 94 Astra he bought from new, still on the original battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ianabbott1 wrote: »
    not at all, i drive to work every morning, 8 miles away, parked there for day , usual trips to shops and all, its a 1.7cdti.

To be fair multiple 8 mile trips will do a battery in, especially if it's starting a diesel. You need to let a car run for more than 10-15 min to let the battery recover from starting with no other electrics on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

holdmybeer wrote: »
    You probably left something on in the car and it drained it. I cant imagine the dealer getting a crap battery.
    im sure the manufacturer or dealer had no intention of supplying a crap battery to the op, it's impossible for them to predict the future though. As has been said batteries do go faulty every now and then be they the worst brand of battery or the best brand of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Del2005 wrote: »
    To be fair multiple 8 mile trips will do a battery in, especially if it's starting a diesel. You need to let a car run for more than 10-15 min to let the battery recover from starting with no other electrics on.

I reckon it takes a bit longer than 10 minutes to cover 8 miles, at least if you're doing urban/city journeys. My regular use is 1.5klms 3 days per week, twice on those days, to and from the office. Hope my battery doesn't choke to deat because of it. We need better batteries :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I came across a guy last year in a three week old avensis. The battery was stone dead. He and I both thought he'd left something turned on. Dealer put in a new battery and everything was perfect. You probably just got a dud battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What a load of utter nonsense, 8 miles is plenty to charge a battery and that is with electrics on. 8 miles also equates to around 10- 15 min driving so the battery should be charged enough in that time even by your reckoning.

Also any car that needs all it's electrics turned off to leave the battery recover has something wrong with it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm doing a much shorter drive in an 07 diesel octavia and its on its original battery. I think its the luck of the draw tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My wife had the original factory fitted battery replaced on her (at the time) 10 year old car, and within 6 months that one had gone too. Got it replaced for free under warranty and that was 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Like others have said it's the luck of the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ianabbott1

Thanks for all the comments. I am saying myself it was just a dud battery i got. That was the original battery that was put into the car when it was made btw, a hopefully now all will be ok because i really love Astras I think they are a great car, this is my 3rd astra car , new in 2002, new in 2009 and new in 2012, and this is first time ever a battery was replaced.

Advertisement