Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Paper 1

Options
  • 29-05-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Are there any nitty gritty pieces to learn off for this section that I have left out of this list does anyone know?

-Complex numbers equalities - de moivres thing where you show something like cos3x=2sinx+cosx for example!
    -Integration of 3d objects
    - first principles
    - calculus proofs: product, quotient, chain.
    - Differentiation by induction proof
    - De moivres by induction proof

If anyone thinks of anything else at all please please please tell me, hoping to get the lucrative A in Project maths!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

^ What do you mean by differentiation by induction proof?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

the thing where you actually prove the differentiation rule (ie. that you can bring the power down as a coefficient and reduce its power by 1) Its in the math book with the product rule, quotient rule and chain rule!

Oh i left out proof by contradiction

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

Glee_GG wrote: »
    ^ What do you mean by differentiation by induction proof?!

its the proof of the power rule:
    If f(x) = x^n then df/dx = nx^n-1

And nope u seem to have most of the major stuff so u should be alright but u never know how the question will turn out on the day :( . Personally im just worried about financial maths ...wrecks my head its not the maths thats hard but just understanding what is asked of you. + i always seem to make mistakes on the time...:mad:

Yea I hate the ambiguity of financial maths too. If I make a mistake on say a part (a), does the examiner have to take my answer for part (b). In other words can I still get full marks on b,c,d,e etc.? In the mock this didn't seem to happen, worryingly. There aren't any financial maths proofs or anything are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Hazardous Garden Of Eden

Yea I hate the ambiguity of financial maths too. If I make a mistake on say a part (a), does the examiner have to take my answer for part (b). In other words can I still get full marks on b,c,d,e etc.? In the mock this didn't seem to happen, worryingly. There aren't any financial maths proofs or anything are there?

The mock marking schemes aren't adjusted like the real thing will be when everyone does ****e in the question. Like in the project school marking schemes in 2011, parts (a), (b) and (c) of the financial maths question were worth 40/50 in the end up, and (d) and (e) were only worth 10/50.

They're desparate for people to get higher grades so if you do make a wee mistake you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Oh i left out proof by contradiction

Is that not paper 2?

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Is that not paper 2?
    It can be. I know the proof of irrationality is more paper 1-ish though, its in book 1 too...

It can be. I know the proof of irrationality is more paper 1-ish though, its in book 1 too...

It's in my book 2 so I'd say that's irrelevant. A proof by contradiction question came up on a SEC Paper 2 so just from that I'd say its probably paper 2

It's in my book 2 so I'd say that's irrelevant. A proof by contradiction question came up on a SEC Paper 2 so just from that I'd say its probably paper 2

Oh I thought that was just an edco sample paper, my bad, must be paper 2 so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

My grinds teacher said that proof by contradiction can come up in either papers.

Don't forget about Financial maths and Logs.

How's everyone getting on in the Sample papers?

I did the 2013 Sample Paper 1 today. Timed myself and did it in exam conditions. I did horrible. Far worse than i normally do. God, That Puzzle question...

I did well on the 2011 Pilot school Paper 1 but I'm thinking they made the Pilot Papers far easier for the pilot schools to show that Project Bull**** works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Sorry for being off topic but didn't know where to ask. On paper 2 on question 6 if I learn how to do all of the constructions would I be relatively safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Sorry for being off topic but didn't know where to ask. On paper 2 on question 6 if I learn how to do all of the constructions would I be relatively safe?

you should do theorems 11,12&13 too

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I did well on the 2011 Pilot school Paper 1 but I'm thinking they made the Pilot Papers far easier for the pilot schools to show that Project Bull**** works

I'm in a Pilot School and everyone found the Paper One last year really difficult. But yeah, the marking scheme was massively adjusted, I only answered two parts of one of the long questions last year and got most of the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

My attempts at the sample papers are so bad it's not even funny any more. I didn't even know where to start with that jigsaw question. Or last year's one with the robotic arm thingy.

Although it could be something to do with the fact that I've given up even trying to revise the chapters and just decided I'd plough straight into the papers themselves. Needless to say, me and maths aren't on good terms.

peekachoo wrote: »
    you should do theorems 11,12&13 too

Cheers, so those 3 and the constructions and I'll be covered?

Cheers, so those 3 and the constructions and I'll be covered?

Not necessarily. I dont think they HAVE to ask a construction or Theorem for Q. 6. I think they can just ask for a proof given a situation

Not necessarily. I dont think they HAVE to ask a construction or Theorem for Q. 6. I think they can just ask for a proof given a situation

I'd be lost completely then, is it not usually construction and theorem as the part A and B?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

They can give you a shape and you've to work on it somehow too, I think on last year's paper there was something to do with an incircle, as well as the 60 degree angle construction. I know 6B is the crazy shape but in 6A they can ask you something too, based on the theorems you're meant to learn (not to prove, there's 22 in total you're meant to be able to apply).

• Advertisement

Do we have a choice of Calculus questions on our paper? There was a choice on the 2011 past paper but none on the 2013 sample paper

Do we have a choice of Calculus questions on our paper? There was a choice on the 2011 past paper but none on the 2013 sample paper
    no choice

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Wouldnt it be a lovely surprise if they decided to give basically the exact same questions as on the sample papers with just different digits? Then I might get my 38%..
    Im in way over my head with this, I dont know where to turn or focus :(

Advertisement