Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Pilot School

Options
  • 29-05-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭

Anyone here in one? If so, could somebody please tell me what's on the course and what's not for calculus?! I've heard that a lot of the proofs are gone like proving the product rule, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

I know for definite that differentiation by Newton-Raphson and integration by parts is not on it. I may be wrong, but I think differentiating parametric, implicit and log functions are gone too, possibly along with integration by the substitution method (does no harm to know it though). I'll post again if I find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Thanks for that

No bother at all :) Oh, also, be able to recognise graphs, like they might give you the equation for f(x) and rough sketches of f'(x) and you'd have to be able to say which graph is f'(x) and justify. According to my teacher, they're into recognising graphs, as well as for trignometry. There's more of a focus on practical stuff like speed, acceleration and distance, or the rate a container fills with water.
    First principles, Quotient, Product and Chain rules are all still there, along with differentiating trig and inverse trig functions. However, I'm fairly sure that the proofs for these rules are gone, along with some differential theorem involving nx to the power of n-1 (it doesn't look anyway familiar to me, anyway :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

My teacher said that the course for calculus is exactly the same as the old course this year?? Parametric, implicit, proofs, the whole lot! So where did you hear that implicit and parametric is gone?? :confused:

Like I said, I could be wrong with the parametric and implicit stuff (either way, I don't know it :P ) but the course is only the same as the old course for non-pilot schools, i.e. the whole country bar 24 schools, one of which I'm in (personally I think the new calculus course is easier :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

HPMS wrote: »
    My teacher said that the course for calculus is exactly the same as the old course this year?? Parametric, implicit, proofs, the whole lot! So where did you hear that implicit and parametric is gone?? :confused:

This is only for the 24 pilot schools, our calculus course is different to everyone elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

I know for definite that differentiation by Newton-Raphson and integration by parts is not on it. I may be wrong, but I think differentiating parametric, implicit and log functions are gone too, possibly along with integration by the substitution method (does no harm to know it though). I'll post again if I find out more.

EDIT: answered above

Good people of pilot schools like myself, does anyone know where I can find the HL maths paper that pilot schools took last year, and the years previous, if possible? I've had a look on examinations.ie and it's either not there or I just can't find it. I don't feel all that comfortable walking into the exam having never seen the type of calculus questions we get :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Good people of pilot schools like myself, does anyone know where I can find the HL maths paper that pilot schools took last year, and the years previous, if possible? I've had a look on examinations.ie and it's either not there or I just can't find it. I don't feel all that comfortable walking into the exam having never seen the type of calculus questions we get :P

In the "exam material archive", click on mathematics. In the list of all the papers that appear, the ones that are referred to as "Project Maths" are the ones the pilot schools did.

In the "exam material archive", click on mathematics. In the list of all the papers that appear, the ones that are referred to as "Project Maths" are the ones the pilot schools did.

Thank you! :) Oh Lord, I'd have gotten a shock on Friday if I hadn't seen that! (I scrolled up and down for at least 2 minutes looking for for the functions and calculus section before I copped :P )

• Advertisement
Advertisement