Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

04 Focus estate 1.8 tddi - Help?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I have been having the same problem for quite a while now, and I am still yet to be told what the issue is. I have been to several mechanics, including a Ford garage for a diagnostic that did not diagnose anything.

When I am driving the car suddenly loses all power, the engine, glow plugs and another light appear. The car is still ticking over, and then bang in a second all power returns and the car is fine.

It comes and goes, sometimes it will happen constantly, sometimes once a week..etc

The latest mechanic I took the car to (this week) for a service told me to get my injectors checked, but he could not do it himself. I do not want to go and get the injectors checked just to be told again that they cannot see any issue.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I have a 2002 one here doing the same thing. Have spent most of the afternoon scratching my head over it without success. I suspect it is a bad connection or break in a wiring loom somewhere but have been unable to put my finger on it as yet.

On yours when the problem occurs do the gauges all drop to zero at the same time as the various warning lights appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

are both focus tdci or di?

TDDI here, looks like the OP's is TDDI as well from the title of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

That used to happen to the petrol models too, HT leads used to rub off each other, causing the problem. Ford issued a recall and all on it. Obviously not the exactly same on the diesels though...

Does sound like a wiring issue though.

Right well I have fixed this one. It turns out to have been broken wires on the EGR position sensor. These wires break on them regularly but this is the first time I have seen one cause these symptoms. The yellow wire was earthing out off the body of the EGR valve and causing the engine to cut out while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Had an '01 TDDi with a similar problem.
    Turned out eventually to be the Fuel sender in the Tank. The tracks were worn so it was sending out an "empty tank" signal to the ECU.
    As you can't prime these easily the ECU would shut off the car to prevent an air-lock.
    This was on a saloon and the easiest and quickest way to get to it was to cut a hole in the rear seat pan (softly, softly with a grinder).
    Just shorting out the fuel level wires , although you should stick in a small resistor, allowed the car to run fine until we got a replacement sender.....got one from a Mondeo as all you need is the small board with the tracking on it.
    BTW they will self-prime when you tow them up the road for 1/2 a mile or so:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭elmossman

George, Yeah all gauges drop to zero then fire back up. It all happens in 1 second. Can these wires be fixed/disconnected easily or should I get a mechanic to do it? Thanks

You can repair the plug with new connections if you want but if you aren't that bothered just tape them up individually to stop them earthing out or making contact with each other. That sensor has no effect on the running of the engine anyway. It has been disconnected on our Focus van for the last 100k miles with no issues.

The EGR position sensor is on the top of the engine near the bulkhead, you can see the 3 pin plug in the picture below (from google images)

What you will probably find is the wires have broken off the plug and are hanging loose.

aut0020.jpg

Just checked there, the parts of the wires I can see (as above) all look fine :(

Ok well the next place I would be looking if I were you is the wiring harness on the injector pump. Have seen these rub through and cause similar symptoms. You will need to remove the intercooler to access the plug though.

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks, Could I try disconnecting the erg sensor? Do I do this by unplugging the 3 pin connection?

Yes you can unplug it to see if it helps.

Cheers George.

No use disconnecting it :( Another trip to the mechanic to get the injectors checked. I was just reluctant to spend more (broke student)money to be told they cannot see anything wrong again. Anyone know if its a big/dear job if it were the injectors?

If it is a TDDI and not a TDCI then it won't be the injectors. I would be 99% sure of that so don't waste your money getting them checked.

Thanks George, I have been searching around and have read a few people with similar problems. Wynns EGR cleaner has been suggested quite a lot, would this be a good option?

No, I would think the problem is electrical to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Pumps give bother on these after 100k miles.

Advertisement