Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on 04 megane petrol

Options
  • 29-05-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

On the look out for a cheap 2nd car run about looking to spend about 2k or so, want to keep it below 1.4 as any higher tax would be a killer on car car that will be used little...

I think the 04 model is the mk2? any opinions on what they are like?

I bought a cheap 99 1.4 megane few years back think they had the dci engine and had no bother from it at all, even when there was some diesel put in it by mistake it was juddery for a while but she keep going!

See quite a few for sale just wanting to know what to look for in this newer model?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We have a 05 one, had the usual electric window, boot not opening & airbag / service light on issues, last two issues are a reasonably cheap fix, < €100 to fix both, you might get lucky but these are plagued with electrical issues from 03 - 07, maybe cheap to purchase but could end up being nickel & dimed to death
    Never had any engine issues, it's a bit of russian roulette really, might be ok on the other hand could end up giving you a nervous breakdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

We have a 05 one, had the usual electric window, boot not opening & airbag / service light on issues, last two issues are a reasonably cheap fix, < €100 to fix both, you might get lucky but these are plagued with electrical issues from 03 - 07, maybe cheap to purchase but could end up being nickel & dimed to death
    Never had any engine issues, it's a bit of russian roulette really, might be ok on the other hand could end up giving you a nervous breakdown :D

Thanks for your honesty!

I did hear electrics let some off them down but with the 99 I had I didnt have any issues was hoping newer one would be the same..oh well!

On the other hand come across a 03 Xsara 1.4 120k no nct, taxed few months, says new belt recently fitted I'd be wanting proof and now tipex marks, looks very cleans inside and out

Any opinions on these folks?

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Check every electrical part and component, all doors, windows, keys etc. and timing belt change. Check footwells for damp. A service history using fully synthetic 5w40 would be great.

Talking about a megane btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It's a Renault, run away quickly and never look back and think of the lucky escape you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

If you want a cheap runabout for under €2k I'd avoid a 9 year old Megane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

canhefixit wrote: »
    On the other hand come across a 03 Xsara 1.4 120k no nct,

Any opinions on these folks?

Cheers again

Yes, the same as Renault, absolute rubbish of a car, the first thing you need to do is forget anything French, and that means Renault, Citroen and Peugeot all three manufacturers equally as bad and as each other and each setting new levels of absolute junk.

http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/messages.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for your honesty!

I did hear electrics let some off them down but with the 99 I had I didnt have any issues was hoping newer one would be the same

That's how I was thinking too, had a 00 one for seven years before we bought the 05 & drove the 00 until 2011 with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Stinicker wrote: »
    the first thing you need to do is forget anything French, and that means Renault, Citroen and Peugeot all three manufacturers equally as bad and as each other and each setting new levels of absolute junk.

Wow, talk about making a sweeping statement, especially one that's not entirely true!

The Mk2 Megane is terrible, and the 307 is even worse, but that does NOT mean that every French car is unreliable. For example, the Mk1 Megane is a much better car than a 1.4 Golf, and there's nothing wrong with a Xsara from a reliability perspective either. While it's hardly the most reliable car in its class, the Mk1 Megane is nevertheless a rather durable car; it's also very comfortable and the 1.4 engine is quite sprightly with 98 bhp. It's quite a shrewd buy actually, especially in ignorant Ireland, where sentiments like the above are all too common.

OK think ill avoid the Megane now...

Any other ideas on a budjet of 2k ish?

I want to rule out a mk1 focus and any mk corolla, the bigger the car the better and I know options limited being 1.4 but how are the 1.4 Octavias? Nice enough looking machine hoe bout reliability? They dont share the 1.4 engine from the oil guzzling Golf do they?

Again open to suggestions

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

OK think ill avoid the Megane now...

Any other ideas on a budjet of 2k ish?
    Again open to suggestions

Cheers

At least one person saved the pain of having a Megane.....

If you could get your hands on an Octavia for 2k you would be doing well good reliable cars.

Avoid older Opels/Vauxhall's engine problem's (head gasket cam shaft problems)develop at 80,000k+

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes, the same as Renault, absolute rubbish of a car, the first thing you need to do is forget anything French, and that means Renault, Citroen and Peugeot all three manufacturers equally as bad and as each other and each setting new levels of absolute junk.

http://www.crushmy307.co.uk/messages.html

It takes less than five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Renault's from 03-06/07 have the worst rep.

The generation of Renaults 98 - 03 are quite the opposite. The 'facelift' Scenic was around 'til 05 and is a good car, and still 1.4. As soon as I can sell my current diesel car, I'm going back to getting one of them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

it's also very comfortable and the 1.4 engine is quite sprightly with 98 bhp. It's quite a shrewd buy actually, especially in ignorant Ireland, where sentiments like the above are all too common.

...indeed: I was beside a lovely 99 Mégane Coupé yesterday, and thought it one of those cars people keep forgetting. Underrated imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Lads came across an 05 Citroen C4 1.4 with 60k klms and 2 years test, looks very clean the seller says it was the wifes car and was rarely used just to shops and back, 2 owners from new current one has it 5 years...any opinions on these yolks or common problems with them??

Advertisement