Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips/Advice on car purchase

Options
  • 29-05-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im a bit of a novice when it comes to cars (despite being around awhile) so I would appreciate any tips and advice that people might be able to offer.

Bit of backround. My current car is a nissan primera 2002. The problem I know of is require new key (last time it cost €150 as they said they wouldnt replace battery!), fixed/new tire (circa €80- €120) and there are some noises coming from the engine and/or exhaust, god knows what might be required there. Also the drivers window is completely broken (had to get a neighbour help me take door apart to jam window up as electrical conveyor broke when window was down!). Also have an NCT coming up in July so rather then pay fixing the car up again I thought it might be best looking at getting a cheap replacement. also front car light needs to be replaced.

I have had 1 accident in the car (ended in a ditch) and got a patchwork job (most of damage was cosmetic) that wasnt great. It was written off by the insurance company for scrappage for €1,800 (I think) about 2 years ago and I was thinking I would be better scrapping the car (but tips here if anybody thinks giving to a dealer as a deal would even be worth exploring?!). I only got 2 or 3 new tires on it for last years NCT (€500!), so would ofthought that €1000 is a reasonable expectation for scrappage!

The kind of spec I am looking for is:

Diesel
    Less then 1.5 litre
    Estate (or car suitable for 3 young children)
    Preferable lower road tax (think 2008+ cars have lower tax but not vital)
    Preferably cost no more then €5,000 - €6,000
    Private v Dealer purchase
    Preferable areas to purchase: Anywhere in Leinster

I heard that buying a car in the UK can be much cheaper because it has one of the most extensive amount of second hand cars (which means better deals). However my knowledge of cars is very limited, so I would need guidance on where to buy and what is a reliable way to purchase (I know you would have to pay VRT etc).

As such I believe I am prob better off sticking with buying in Ireland. I would prob bring my father in law along with me as he seems to know his stuff on cars (this might bring buying from private owners into the equation).

I would like the car to look nice if possible (eg Peguot 206, skoda fabia, opel astra 1.3 estate etc) doesnt have to look like a ferrari , just decent. Not too concerned about resale value, more concerned with cars that have good historical records of reliance , that dont need much maintenance and if they do break down dont usually cost a fortune to fix! Not even sure if thats possible!

Also, when putting in an offer with a dealer/private owner, do you think a 10% less offer is advisable ?

Thanks in advance if anybody can give me some advice.

Advertisement