Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

space saver/spare for 2008 Mazda 6 question..

Options
  • 29-05-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Mazda 6 from 2008, its the newer shape.

Like this one... http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/2.0D-140/34513673281165230/advert?channel=CARS

Same colour and all.. Anyway it didnt come with a space saver tyre or any spare for that matter so I'm driving around with no spare.

It did come with some gel stuff and look I'm sure it works etc but I'd rather have a spare of some sort preferably one that fits snuggly into my boot as it should do.

I've tried a couple of breakers and no joy. It'll cost over 200euro for a space saver from Mazda which just isnt gonna happen cause I'm probably gonna sell the car in a year or so.

Anyway any advice here would be great thanks.

I just dont want to get a wheel and then it to be the wrong one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Any space saver that fits will do the job it doesnt have to be Mazda specific. I popped into the local tyre shop and they measured it up and got me one for €50 that they had spare.

To fit it in the boot I took out the rigid foam compartments and cut it down about half way laterally so the spare sits on top and the boot liner doesnt sag. If you just put the spare in it will sag down as the foam is higher than a normal spare.

That Mazda instant mobility kit has a handy compressor in it BTW. Its annoying that a car of this size with such a big boot doesnt have a space saver as standard.

One last thing I learned recently - if the ABS, DSC off and TSC lights start to come on when you brake its a damaged ABS wheel speed sensor - damn potholes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

eBay is your friend. There are wheels on there that will fit no problem, many with decent thread on the tyres. You will also need the kit to fit out the well and lose the storage boxes underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

tin79 wrote: »
    Any space saver that fits will do the job it doesnt have to be Mazda specific. I popped into the local tyre shop and they measured it up and got me one for €50 that they had spare.

To fit it in the boot I took out the rigid foam compartments and cut it down about half way laterally so the spare sits on top and the boot liner doesnt sag. If you just put the spare in it will sag down as the foam is higher than a normal spare.

That Mazda instant mobility kit has a handy compressor in it BTW. Its annoying that a car of this size with such a big boot doesnt have a space saver as standard.

One last thing I learned recently - if the ABS, DSC off and TSC lights start to come on when you brake its a damaged ABS wheel speed sensor - damn potholes. :)

I tried a couple of local tyre places there and they all said I'd have to have the rim then they'd get a tyre for it.

The one you paid €50 to, did they get you just the trye or did they get the space saver for you? If they got the whole lot for you can you tell me who it was please as I'd happily go to them.

cheers.
    eBay is your friend. There are wheels on there that will fit no problem, many with decent thread on the tyres. You will also need the kit to fit out the well and lose the storage boxes underneath.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/16-SPACE-SAVER-WHEEL-TYRE-Mazda-6-2008-2012-Spare-/130908012352?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item1e7ab9bf40

thats the closest I could find on ebay, Over €100, not terrible but I was hoping I could get it cheaper to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I tried a couple of local tyre places there and they all said I'd have to have the rim then they'd get a tyre for it.

The one you paid €50 to, did they get you just the trye or did they get the space saver for you? If they got the whole lot for you can you tell me who it was please as I'd happily go to them.

cheers.

Hello I got it from confey tyres in Leixlip but I got lucky as they happened to have one that fit. The scrap yard in Kilcock have a pile to them including tyres too if you are out that way. I would bet you will get one to suit. If you measure up your tyre you could even ring them and they could let you know and save the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

try a scrap yard for one that fits

• Advertisement
Advertisement