Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PM - Proof by Induction

Options
  • 29-05-2013 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Well,
    Anyone able to verify my answer for this proof by induction question? I seen an answer online but it's done using a different method so I'm not totally sure.

The question is Question 2 on the 2013 Sample Paper 1, as follows:

(a) Prove by induction that the sum of r from r=1 to r=n is equal to n(n+1)/2, for any n<N.

Here is my solution:

2ck3fEI.jpg?1

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Yeah, it's right :)

I'd be pretty happy if this one or something like it comes up, as far as proof by induction goes, they're the easiest ones :) I'm still a bit shaky with the inequality ones though xD

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

curly135 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's right :)

I'd be pretty happy if this one or something like it comes up, as far as proof by induction goes, they're the easiest ones :) I'm still a bit shaky with the inequality ones though xD

cheers :) what about proof by induction of De Moivre's Theorem? It's pretty dirty to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

cmccarra wrote: »
    cheers :) what about proof by induction of De Moivre's Theorem? It's pretty dirty to learn!

Yeah, that one's pretty tricky all right, I'd probably just look over it the night before... the only other thing is proving the differentiation rule by induction, that ones not too bad either, it'd be easy enough marks if it comes up in the calculus section :)

Advertisement