Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Walks In and around Sligo Town

Options
  • 29-05-2013 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

As it's coming up to tourist time I thought it might be helpful to list up our favourite walks in Sligo.

My most favourite walk is from Shoot The Crows to The Ho Wong Chinese Take Away. Whats yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Furey's to 4 Lights. I must be fitter than you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

il gatto wrote: »
    Furey's to 4 Lights. I must be fitter than you ;)

Good call. As this is a much longer walk I'd recommend bringing along wet weather gear just in case.

A leisurely stroll, suitable for the whole family and without the need for a packed lunch. (I will be trying this one myself with the wife and kids this Bank Holiday weekend).

Alternative Top 20 Walks in and around Sligo Town:

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Shoot The Crows to The Ho Wong Chinese Take Away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

From any pub to the public toilet.
    Now there's a good long walk! :p
    Sorry , that takes you to another town :mad:

red sean wrote: »
    From any pub to the public toilet.
    Now there's a good long walk! :p
    Sorry , that takes you to another town :mad:

That's an interesting point and a potentially interesting walk. Where are the nearest public toilets to Sligo Town? Does anyone know? Are they the ones at Glencar Water fall in Country Leitrim?

(I'll provisionally put that in the Top 20 Alternative Walks listings until we can confirm the exact location of the nearest Jacks. Many thanks for your contribution thus far).

Alternative Top 20 Walks in and around Sligo Town:

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Sligo Town to the Public Toilets at Glencar Waterfall, Country Leitrim

Rosses Point I think. Note: may not be open on arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Foleys to Paddy Power.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Foleys to Paddy Power.

Excellent choice. As you stroll leisurely along one of Sligos' oldest and busiest streets, from the home of some of the best live traditional music in Sligo County to the thrill and excitement of national hunt and flat racing, greyhounds, virtual horses and dogs, The Irish and UK Lotto and 49's. Go racing!

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    * Sligo Town to the Public Toilets at Rosses Point (check opening hours)

I used to love Connolly's to Molly's but they ruined it when Molly's moved to the far side and started closing earlier than the pub. What next in the name of progress? We need to protect our precious environment. As such, I intend to live like Swampy the crusty in a bin between McGarrigle's and Roberto's. Probably a bin near Abrakebabra to ensure a steady supply of sustenance. Who's with me?..........Hello? Anyone?

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    * Connolly's Pub to Molly's Dinner (limited opening times)
    * McGarrigle's to Roberto's Take Away (bring own carrier for waste disposal)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The walk which expends the least number of letters (so your fingers don't have to do much walking)

Pure to Abra

• Advertisement

Pure to Abra;

A jolly nocturnal meandering stroll. Not recommended for the elderly or the very young. Occasional burger-scoffing sedentary Garda Siochana presence. Walkers will observe a feast of fist-fighting, hair-pulling, shape-making, projectile vomiting and bottle smashing. A definite must for the 16-35 year olds.

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    * Pure to Abra (Parental supervision advised for the under 18's)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Forthill
    Connaughton Rd
    Joe McDonnell Drive

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Forthill
    Connaughton Rd
    Joe McDonnell Drive

Part of the historic Sligo Old Town walk, the Forthill area includes a leisure park suitable for walking in "a peaceful setting for a relaxing and tranquil stroll only a short walk from the centre of Sligo town". (Sligo Tourism)

Taking a right turn back in the direction of the town centre, the weary walker will observe the traveller’s encampment at the Connaughton Road car-park that has given rise to much controversy in recent times. Then back through the town centre in the direction of Cranmore (Irish for Big Tree) and Joe McDonnell Drive, named in honour of the IRA Hunger Striker, (14 September 1951 - 8 July 1981) . McDonnell stood as a candidate in the 1981 Irish general election for the Sligo–Leitrim constituency, only missing out on election victory by the narrowest of margins.

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    * Forthill-Connaughton Rd-Joe McDonnell Drive (The Historic Old Town Walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Johnstons court to the nearest ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

A favourite of some was the walk from McCullaghs to Feehilys shop and back. A few times

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Garavouge to Best. Takes in some great views of the river and local wildlife.

:D

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    *Garavouge to "Best". Takes in some great views of the river and local wildlife.
    *McCullaghs to Feehilys shop and back (Also the photo location for the Beatles iconic Abbey Road album cover)
    *Johnstons court to the nearest ATM (Probably Ulster Bank in Tesco Arcade) An absolute must for those on retail therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I thought I was in AH for a moment there. Here was me thinking when I read the thread title, that the thread was actually about walking/recommended walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

From The Showgrounds to Centra!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Mooney's to Showgrouds and back and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

R_overs1 wrote: »
    Mooney's to Showgrouds and back and back again.
    Not at half-time though! ;)

* Furey's to 4 Lights
    * Foleys to Paddy Power
    *Garavouge to "Best". Takes in some great views of the river and local wildlife.
    *McCullaghs to Feehilys shop and back (Also the photo location for the Beatles iconic Abbey Road album cover)
    *Johnstons court to the nearest ATM (Probably Ulster Bank in Tesco Arcade) An absolute must for those on retail therapy
    * Mooney's to Showgrounds and back again (Half-time subject to congested delays)
    * From The Showgrounds to Centra! (The Home of World Famous Airtricity Premier League Champions, Sligo Rovers)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought I was in AH for a moment there. Here was me thinking when I read the thread title, that the thread was actually about walking/recommended walks.

Its the alternative walking guide. ;)

Fair play to the Forthill Community History Group. More power to them.

http://youtu.be/VydqAIiw-yI

http://youtu.be/Tnqek-EXnNI

From their website:

The Green Fort, as it is now known, was in the Celtic times a regular ringed fort. This fort like all others was used as a farmstead which would have had a stone or wooden house, storage buildings and farm animals which were brought in at night time to keep them safe from thieves and other animals. The one entrance that the fort had would have been closed at night to stop intruders.

This fort would have been known as a rath because it is surrounded by earth banks. The land outside of the fort would have been used as farmland to grow crops. In the period 1620-1680 it is believed that the site of this ring fort was used to create the star-shaped fort that now can be clearly seen. The Sod Fort would have been the name used for the Green Fort as to differentiate it from the Stone Fort that used to be where the town hall now stands.

The fort was used as a military defence to ward off any intruders approaching the town form the harbour. The fort also had a clear view of the Bundara and Manorhamilton roads as well as the town in general. It is believed that the fort became damaged in the period of 1655 to 1689, which was the time of the relative peace in Ireland between the Cromwellian and the Williamite wars.

In the summer of 1690 the Fort was repaired and the Jacobite leader, Col Teague O'Reagan, a Cork man decided to abandon the stone Fort and strengthen the defences of the Green Fort taking along with him his 16 guns turning it into the main military position. That is why the Fort is referred to as Sir Teigue O' Reagans Fort.

In the summer of 1691 the Williamites attacked Sligo with forces of about 10,000 men from the south and from Ballyshannon. A long a hard battle was fought and through negotiation final terms of surrender where agreed. The agreement of the surrender was that all towns' people who had a mind to leave would be granted pardon and allowed to leave peacefully with their family and belonging. Also any friends or family members they had throughout the country would be left in peace not to be harmed. The wounded were allowed to stay unharmed until they were fit to leave. The Jacobite force under Col Teague O' Reagan marched to Limerick, by the time they got there the treaty had been signed and the city surrendered to the Williamites. Following the war the fort was again allowed to fall into disrepair.

Lovely Sligo Fort

O'er fields of green one morning fair, by Sligo's for I strolled,
    Thoughts of boyhood wandering, my memory did unfold,
    And the blackbird piped his warning, as I neared the ancient mound,
    "Beware, beware of little men, for this is fairy ground.

With apprehension then I scaled, the grassy slopes to see,
    What frightful sights from ghostly tales, this rath would hold for me,
    But far from frightful was the scene, beneath the morning sky,
    Nothing more than cattle, grazing carelessly nearby.

And then there in silence I did sit, and strain my ears to hear,
    The ancient song and battle cry, of men of yesteryear,
    While the shelly river far below, softly made her way,
    Past dreamy oak to kiss the salty sea of Sligo Bay.

No ancient sound or battle cry, no sound of wars mêlée,
    No hunting bows, no bloodstained swords, in vision came to say,
    What noble chief had stood so high, to view the good green land?
    Long before there'd ever been, the threat of Viking hand.

The rising sun soon took its toll, so there I said farewell,
    To Sligo's fort with all its ghosts, and tales they'll never tell,
    And to the north some miles away, like giant men of old,
    The boys from Dartry stood us proud, their beauty to behold.

I'll come again before I die, these lovely sights to see,
    From Gulban's peak to Maeve asleep, suas ar Croc na Ri,
    And far as I may travel, I doubt I'll e'er report,
    Beauty fair as can be seen, from lovely Sligo's Fort.

Dennis Gorevan

Advertisement