Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo s80?

Options
  • 29-05-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the general consensus on the s80? Thinking about having a look at an 02 2.0 auto. Any weak spots ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

T'is a grand car, I drove one last year and it was well nice.
    Some models can have an ETM problem, I think 02 s80 is out of the woods though. 2002 models are less troublesome than previous 99-01.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Fantabolous car to own and drive.

Own one myself

Ask me anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Driven an S80 auto with the 2L Turbo engine and found it a great wafter. Nice smooth power delivery and very comfortable.

The only issue I've found with them is iffy trim quality but that's all been down to previous owners

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I like the look of it alright. The one im looking at is only around the corner from where I work so might nip around when I get a minute.

Im wondering are the outside of the seat base and the bolster worn to bits or was it just coincidence that the pics dont go that low.

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/S80/*2.0-T/34013607641451480/

Im still undecided about going to a 2.0 tax wise. I do tiny mileage during the week so only started off looking at 1.4 and 1.6 but getting drawn to the bigger stuff as I look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That (to me) looks like one of the earlier pre 2002 build cars.

Looks well. It'll be like driving a couch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Lovely car. We have the V70 at home & its a very comfortable place to sit and cruise. 2.0T is silky smooth and at 180bhp its no slouch despite the auto & weight. Thirsty though, 21 mpg average around town!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I have an '04 2.0T S80 and find the mpg a little horrifyingat times.

Check the front bushings and suspension parts for ware. Ifound mine a bit creaky and the ride a tad harsh. I might have to replace themsoon. My car has 102,000 km (63,000 miles or so) on the clock so one with90,000+ miles will definitely have this wear and tear.

Check all the electrics work, including parking sensors andcruise.

All the other usual’s apply there after - Timing belt andservice history etc.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Although I only have it afew weeks.

I can get 30 mph on a long run. (Dublin to Cork)

My average is 28.2 mpg - mixed driving. All in all not toobad considering the weight of the car.

For comfort and value for money I think the car is verydifficult to beat. I was looking at the same vintage (04 to 05) Audi A6, BMW 5series and Merc E200 Komp and nothing came close in terms of value for money.

Bear in mind that the parts for Volvos can be expensive andonly sourced from dealers. I'm not too sure which parts, but just to be aware.

Best of luck with the car if you do buy. It looks clean andI wouldn't worry about the seat. They all go like that. Mine has cream interiorand the seats look more shabby thanyours.

Advertisement