Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Mondeo

Options
  • 28-05-2013 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi all, can I get your opinions on buying a second hand ford mondeo? I was looking at 03-04 2ltr diesels. They seem to be reasonably priced.

Are there any common problems /issues I should be looking out for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭robo10

Problems are many with the 2.0 TDCI clutch and flywheel / injectors / injector pump . The TDDI is the more reliable engine wise but alot less refined than the TDCI. I have owned 3 of them i have a 02 TDDI as a run around at the moment full service history a great car 115bhp but i have it remapped to approx 150bhp there slow enough compared to a VW etc. Try source one with major issues fixed and you would have a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

robo10 wrote: »
    Problems are many with the 2.0 TDCI clutch and flywheel / injectors / injector pump . The TDDI is the more reliable engine wise but alot less refined than the TDCI. I have owned 3 of them i have a 02 TDDI as a run around at the moment full service history a great car 115bhp but i have it remapped to approx 150bhp there slow enough compared to a VW etc. Try source one with major issues fixed and you would have a great car.
    Thanks robo, that's just the sort of information I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Do a back round check to see if its a retired taxi, they are also prone to burn oil and over fueling.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭foreversky

My cousin has one 08 nothing but problems in the last few mths,new clutch,left bk door wud not lock now the cruise control wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Would a diesel octavia be much more reliable? I prefer the look and drive of the mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your talking about 8 or 9 year old cars so how reliable they are will depend on the individual car you are looking at. Generally the VAG 1.9 TDi found in the Octavia is solid but it is all down to have the car was maintained by previous owners.

Flywheels, turbos, etc. inevitably fail on modern diesel engines at some stage so if you can find one which has had them replaced recently and has receipts to show then generally it would one less thing to worry about.

Advertisement