Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Items allowed in the exam centre

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if you're allowed to take Panadol into the exam? I get headaches a lot and it affected me during the mocks. Does anyone know if you can take Panadol during the exam?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Yep you are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Are you allowed pencil cases? I usually have a pen for every different colour under the rainbow along with tip-ex, pencil, rubber, ruler etc. and can you bring a maths set in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Are you allowed pencil cases? I usually have a pen for every different colour under the rainbow along with tip-ex, pencil, rubber, ruler etc. and can you bring a maths set in? :)

Yes they are 'supposed to be clear' incase you brought paper with writing or something but i know many people who just brought normal pencil cases np, of course you can bring a maths set :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Can you bring in water?

Also, do you open the exam paper as soon as you get it or do you have to wait for them to tell you to open it?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

Undeadfred wrote: »
    Can you bring in water?

Also, do you open the exam paper as soon as you get it or do you have to wait for them to tell you to open it?

Yep you definately can bring in water. I'm wondering though can you bring in Coffee or Redbull? I fell asleep during my chemistry pre and i dont want that to happen again >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    can you bring in Coffee or Redbull? I fell asleep during my chemistry pre and i dont want that to happen again >.<

I am sure if you put the contents into a sports bottle or similar they wouldn't check it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's up to the Superintendent what comes in or doesn't to the exam centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Moromaster

My biggest problem in exams is getting bored. I remember bringing a huge packet of skittles into my junior cert exams and I'd eat a skittle for every question answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Can you bring in water?

No you can't open the paper when you get it - you're supposed to wait till told to - gives everyone,esp in a large centrethe same amt of time.

Make sure water etc is in a sports cap bottle - you do not want to spill a bottle of water on a nearly completed answer booklet!
    Also make sure any food is in easily opened wrappers and don't bring " noisy" food like apples,crisps etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Moromaster wrote: »
    My biggest problem in exams is getting bored. I remember bringing a huge packet of skittles into my junior cert exams and I'd eat a skittle for every question answered.

Thank you so so much x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Are you allowed write on the booklets before the official time begins? I remembered my JC Business teacher telling us all to start ruling out a Trading Account and a Balance Sheet, which I wasn't really bothered enough or strapped enough for time to do in the JC but I'd nearly try it for Accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

Slow Show wrote: »
    Are you allowed write on the booklets before the official time begins? I remembered my JC Business teacher telling us all to start ruling out a Trading Account and a Balance Sheet, which I wasn't really bothered enough or strapped enough for time to do in the JC but I'd nearly try it for Accounting.

Are the booklet papers not printed with the rulings already done, for accounting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Are you allowed to bring in a calculator to every exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are the booklet papers not printed with the rulings already done, for accounting?

From my memory they were. It's a good five years since I did an accounting exam though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Tommyrawr wrote: »
    Yep you definately can bring in water. I'm wondering though can you bring in Coffee or Redbull? I fell asleep during my chemistry pre and i dont want that to happen again >.<

I would say avoid the coffee, the smell will annoy other students. Not fair on them.

generally you can bring food and drink in once you are not going to be rustling wrappers etc every 5 minutes. So no tayto bags, if you have a packet of sweets tear it open before you start. All the small noises are magnified in an exam hall where people are under pressure. Remember it's an exam not a three course meal you are in for.

If you are falling asleep in your exam, you need to consider how much sleep you are getting the night before the exam and how late you are going to bed rather than using stimulants to keep awake on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Why would you need one in every exam?

Prodigious wrote: »
    Why would you need one in every exam?

I use a formula to decide how my time should be allocated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Bullsh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

We don't use the proper Accounting booklet, we just rule the normal one, it's done by a lot of schools as far as I know
    I had mine in my pencilcase for the JC and used it to tot up potential marks when I was finished the paper for quite a few exams and nothing was said. :)

Bullsh!t

I can tell you are an intelligent young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Would you not work out your formula in advance?! Just asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

What formula ? :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Would you not work out your formula in advance?! Just asking...

I get this a lot. The formula depends on my initial reaction and estimation as to which questions I can write the most about. So for english paper 2, I take out my calcuator, plug in a numerical value from 1-10 based on my confidence and comfort with a given question and the formula gives me an approximate time to spend on each given question. It only takes 1 minute as I have the "algorithm", if you like, ready beforehand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I get this a lot. The formula depends on my initial reaction and estimation as to which questions I can write the most about. So for english paper 2, I take out my calcuator, plug in a numerical value from 1-10 based on my confidence and comfort with a given question and the formula gives me an approximate time to spend on each given question. It only takes 1 minute as I have the "algorithm", if you like, ready beforehand!
    Fair play, not my cup of tea but whatever works for you. I'm assuming you also allow yourself reading time before and after completing the paper, most important thing to remember to do in my opinion :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Fair play, not my cup of tea but whatever works for you. I'm assuming you also allow yourself reading time before and after completing the paper, most important thing to remember to do in my opinion :)

Cheers :) Yep, only 5 mins but should be fine. I rarely alter my answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Tell me more, I'm curious.

decisions wrote: »
    Tell me more, I'm curious.

That's it in a nutshell, I have one for each exam except Irish and (ironically) maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

That's it in a nutshell, I have one for each exam except Irish and (ironically) maths.

What is it exactly? I'm just curious to see how it works.

I'm calculating my time per question in the exams according to the amount of marks that each question is worth. Like in English paper 2 its 200 minutes and 200 marks, so I'll be spending 70 mins on comparative since its 70 marks, 60 on Macbeth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

What is it exactly? I'm just curious to see how it works.

I'm calculating my time per question in the exams according to the amount of marks that each question is worth. Like in English paper 2 its 200 minutes and 200 marks, so I'll be spending 70 mins on comparative since its 70 marks, 60 on Macbeth etc.
    This is what I do too! :D Worked for the pre might as well stick with it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Bullsh!t
    I can tell you are an intelligent young man.
    DON'T start again, you two!

Advertisement