Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Friends car ****ed up after jump starting mine. Peugeot 307, possible solutions?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so mine is 2001 - BMW 318i - 1.9L - Manual. And my car battery went flat on friday evening as I was removing subwoofer from car and the radio + all interior lights including glove box/boot/interior were on for about 30 minutes while I was removing wires... anyway
    next day my friend came, he has 2004 - 307 peugeot (the one with moving roof). I told him to leave car engine running but he said: "I am driving since 1992, I never did that". So I didn't argue with him and said okay, let it be. My fear was that both batteries will go flat then I will end up calling other friend.

Anyway we connected, I used battery terminals this time rather than Negative terminal under hood and Grounding. I noticed when jump starting my BMW, it requires about 3-5 minutes to be connected to other battery to start, otherwise it wont start. So I waited, then it started and my friend disconnected battery and tried to start his car. At first it sounded like a flat battery, not turning on, all electronics working perfect, radio, headlights etc.. but car wont start. It took him about 10-15 to turn key and hear the flat battery sound then it started.

Since then he says that when car cold starts: it takes around 10-15 same attempts to start it.

When engine is hot and he tries to start it, sometimes it works, sometimes doesn't. Sometimes he ends up getting it towed to home or waiting few hours to cool down.

So... I kind of feel that we both ****ed up this time, me for not arguing to keep engine running and him for not listening and going with engine off. (though I am unsure what the problem is)
    So what could it be? some kind of started fried or spark plugs damaged or anyone heard of anything like this before?

P.S - my car didn't suffer, it started alright, the battery got charged by alternator and no engine problems. His is 1.6 btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

ECU and/or air mass meter and/or injector driver(if it has one) and/or coil driver(if it has one) might be dying

The ABS pooter and "body ecu"(looks after lights n stuff) might fail in the future

Source: heard very similar story ages ago from mechanic :

Guy jump started a stranded car at a petrol station, then his own car wouldn't start afterwards. Cost about 3k to sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

gctest50 wrote: »
    ECU and/or air mass meter and/or injector driver(if it has one) and/or coil driver(if it has one) might be dying

The ABS pooter and "body ecu"(looks after lights n stuff) might fail in the future

Source: heard very similar story ages ago from mechanic :

Guy jump started a stranded car at a petrol station, then his own car wouldn't start afterwards. Cost about 3k to sort it out

There is no warning lights showing up.

It was just the air mass meter on the thing i was sussing out - same - no warning lights, hit n miss starting, losing power and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Your car ate it's soul

Well done OP one less french car on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Well done OP one less french car on the road

It was inevitable sure look at how the hape ended up.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I am just thinking, did this damage happen because he didn't have engine on while jump starting?
    Because I was jump started before by even like 1.2 car and they had no trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's more so the ecu of some modern diesels and the odd petrol like my own car, not setup for that sort of thing/also visa versa

Maybe it happened just as he disconnected the first jump lead ?

Even using a switch you'll get "bounce" - mighty German alternator then laughs at feeble French electrics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

First thing to do is check/redo connections on his battery.
    If all connections are good then get it diagnostics and she what faults if any are logged.
    The BMW alternator voltage may have have spiked ecu on the 307 but if it was fried then I would be thinking it wouldn't start at all.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I refuse to jump start French cars for this reason. They are wired differently tha most cars. Some have positive ground.. Their ecu's are so sensitive I won't risk it. My friend's 04 megane had an absolute fit when somebody tried to jump start it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There should be no problem whatsoever jumping another car with the donor vehicle's engine off. Having the donor running is often problematic when jumping a motorcycle, but that's to do with a "tug-o'-war" developing between the car's sophisticated charging system and the primitive shunt regulator most bikes (even newer ones) use. Is it a smidgeon possible that your mate's battery was depleted, possibly terminally so, by this excercise?

You should see the full poltergeist performance put on by a Jag when the battery is low and/or dying! My favourite one is from the new XF, which has blue neon courtesy lights on the door sills. Turns out when the voltage to them is too low they light red instead of blue, and sometimes even pulsate slightly. Very "The Omen" - more than one person has been slightly freaked-out by this... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

The car should have been running when you jumped. You have no idea the load that is placed on a battery when its trying to charge another, even more if its connected when you actually start the other car.

There's a possibility you just damaged the Peugeot battery (Buckled plates etc) So it would be worth trying that first i.e. Give it a good charge on a battery charger or give the car a decent motorway run in the day time. Failing that I'd swap out the battery before doing any major work.

Advertisement