Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a PSP Go

Options
  • 28-05-2013 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

So I've managed to not own a playstation for some time now, but the allure of a psp go is getting too great. So whats the story with the system? I checked IGN and there seems to be a handful of good games, I'm manly buying it for final fantasy IV but parasite eve looks exciting... I remember being freaked out by the FMV's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

paperwork meet paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

oh is it not worth getting just to play parasite eve and some final fantasy games? Back in the day I stopped at 6, replayed it recently and I've got a terrible thirst for 4.

I only have a Wii U and I don't see the virtual console having ff7 up there anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Do you mean Vita?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a Go and hardly ever use it at all.
    I prefer the UMD based systems, they can do everything the Go can but with a much more comfortable form factor, easier to play games on.

The Vita has come down so much in price, you can have one preowned now, with a piddly little 4gb memory card admittedly, but with a game too, all for €150, a PSP Go will set you back around the €100 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vita would be the way to go here agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Pick up a phat psp or a slim and lite version from as adverts. Stick on custom firmware and play the couple of games you have a hankering for.
    Then, like the rest of us, put it away in a drawer in your office and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vitas are selling for €150 these days with a game? Wow, that has to be at a loss to Sony?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

o1s1n wrote: »
    Vitas are selling for €150 these days with a game? Wow, that has to be at a loss to Sony?

I think he means second hand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think he means second hand.

Yup, but a new one with 3g is down at the 230 mark in some places, new.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you are buying it for PS1 games make sure you set up a US account and only buy from there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

A new vita with a memory card and game of your choice for 210 in gamestop :3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I think there's some overly harsh opinions on the PSP Go here.

Load it up with cfw, and it's a perfect little portable machine, much easier than carrying around a normal PSP.
    Internal memory is a decent size to store everything cfw related on, and it's also expandable.
    And you can get one cheap enough, I'd be expecting to pay around the €50/60 mark for one.

If you're not looking for Vita games, I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Im getting old when the PSP gets mentioned in Arcade and Retro.

If you're not looking for Vita games, I'd have no hesitation in recommending one.

The Vita screen by far & away blows the PSP's out of the water, so for a a few quid extra is definitely worth it. Coupled with that you have a current gen handheld, it makes a lot of sense

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Vita screen by far & away blows the PSP's out of the water, so for a a few quid extra is definitely worth it. Coupled with that you have a current gen handheld, it makes a lot of sense
    The Vita has a better screen, and the touch controls, and is newer, yes. But:

The Go is a much more portable device, and much easier to carry around. It's a portable that even fits into a pocket!
    It's one third the price of a Vita.
    And it has the whole cfw thing going for it, a great way to try games you'd be unsure of. The PSP has lots of great releases that still aren't on PSN, or are only on certain PSN stores, which would involve account switching on a Vita. It's also one of the best emulation devices you'll ever lay your hands on.

The Vita has a better screen, and the touch controls, and is newer, yes. But:

The Go is a much more portable device, and much easier to carry around. It's a portable that even fits into a pocket!
    It's one third the price of a Vita.
    And it has the whole cfw thing going for it, a great way to try games you'd be unsure of. The PSP has lots of great releases that still aren't on PSN, or are only on certain PSN stores, which would involve account switching on a Vita. It's also one of the best emulation devices you'll ever lay your hands on.

Can you even still buy them new? I thought Sony dropped production of them? You can get a used Vita for €150 with a game as mentioned before, an extra €50 over the current price of a PSP {Street I presume?}, seems a no brainer.

I never enjoyed emulation on the PSP, the screen format just isn't suited to it imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I still use my original PSP for emulation but the battery isn't the best these days. Is it straight forward to get emulators up and running on a Go or Viva?

I think you can buy them new on amazon/ebay, but new wouldn't be near as cheap as what you can get them for used. They are discontinued though. My price compariosn was going off adverts - 150 for vita and game sounds about right, while you could get a Go for about 50/60.

I don't think it's too bad, it's not the prefect way to play it, but I'd prefer it than playing it on a LCD screen off a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

The new Parasite Eve is rubbish, so don't buy it for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

All PS4 games are to have mandatory Vita remote play so that might add a bit more value to it if you are a prospective PS4 owner..

• Advertisement
Advertisement