Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad time to buy ultrabook? Haswell/Win 8.1 incoming?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in the market for a new machine. Looking to splash out a decent bit and get something fairly high end for the first time.

So I've been doing a bit of research and checking out reviews and things and I've learned that apparently Intel are launching another new generation of chips called Haswell to supersede the current Ivy Bridge one's... in June...

Also that Windows 8.1 (Win Blue) is due out fairly shortly and is rumored to correct a lot of the issues and complaints people have had with Windows 8...

So... would it be silly of me to go out and spend 1000 or so on a top of the range ultrabook right now?

Does anyone have any idea of when it's likely there will actually be Haswell toting laptops/ultrabooks out on the market?

With the release of these newer machines would it be expected that the current gen Ivy Bridge ones would fall in price by a decent bit?

So, yeah. Does anyone have any advice? Should I go ahead and buy something now or would it be worth me waiting a few week(months???) and then pick up a reduced price Ivy Bridge machine or one of the newer Haswell ones?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

If you are currently in the market you will have to swim with Ivy bridge processors. The Lenovo U310 and U410 Ideapad with a small SSD to allow instant on appeal to me as well as being an ultrabook. These are reasonably priced IMO at the moment.

If you can wait, then Haswell and an SSD would be my minimum requirements along with weight, resolution, etc.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Fiskar wrote: »
    If you are currently in the market you will have to swim with Ivy bridge processors. The Lenovo U310 and U410 Ideapad with a small SSD to allow instant on appeal to me as well as being an ultrabook. These are reasonably priced IMO at the moment.

If you can wait, then Haswell and an SSD would be my minimum requirements along with weight, resolution, etc.............

Thanks for the suggestion man, Yeah I was looking at the U410 all right, comes in at a very good price compared to the direct competitors... but then found out they are having major wifi issues that seem to be ongoing and "unfixable".

Something similar actually spoiled the party for me when I had settled on a different Lenovo machine last time around as well (a 'z something' I think), was all set to buy and came across a major manufacturing/engineering issue being discussed on the forums and being linked to in reviews...

...I'm kind of put off ever owning a Lenovo now. Manufacturing/engineering errors seem common place with some of their machines and they pretty much don't want to know about it when it's brought up with them by their customers...

Strobe, thanks for that! Interesting forum all right, there goes my thoughts of Yoga 11S :eek:

Any issues on the HP Envy (Spectre?) Ultrabook?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Check out the Asus zenbooks, the higher spec 13.3 inch model is well rated on amazon

They are among the lightest and best looking with decent specs

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Markachy

I was in the same boat as you, but was only wanting to spend around 800euro. As I wanted an SSD and a 13.3" 1080p IPS screen, I was a bit restricted! And the Haswell laptops that will come out with anything like these specs will cost a lot more than 800euro when they eventually appear, so I bit the bullet and bought an Ivy Bridge ultrabook a few weeks ago.

Ended up getting lucky with the Dell Outlet and got an i7 Ivy Bridge, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM 1080p Dell XPS 13 L322X for 900euro! Unbelieveable laptop, and they normally cost around 1300 euro for this spec. Bargain! It has arrived (got my parents in Belfast to forward it down to me in Dublin as they only deliver to the UK from the Outlet) and it is a beautiful piece of kit. I can't get used to how quick it turns on, literally 10 seconds from dead to desktop.

If you can get someone to take delivery in the North, keep an eye on the Outlet. Some unreal bargains to be had. Otherwise I'd say keep your budget and wait for Haswell ultrabooks, either to buy or so top Ivy Bridge ultrabooks drop in price. A top ultrabook with a 1080p screen (essential for me, can't handle poor screens) seems to cost around 1300-1400 euro at the moment.

Note: the Haswell improvements seem to be significant, but not hugely so, particularly in the i3 and i5-equivalent variants. It's only the i7 Haswells which will have a serious graphical improvement, and they will cost a fortune. Also, Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade for anyone with Windows 8 so you shouldn't worry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mortimer33

I see the post has now been deleted but a big THANKS to whoever posted that Lenovo promo code earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Good stuff may i ask what you bought? If its the yoga 13 please post a review. :)

Have the post that was deleted in my email box! But saw nothing to tempt me. Yoga 13 was the best deal and had an I7 with SSD! Will I or won't I?

Saucy money still but looks a pure beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Please keep on the low down for now anyway. People to get their orders etc. Im dying to press the fecking checkout button on it...damn it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Hey,

In the market atm, wondering if someone could forward me (via PM) that code? I'll keep it on the DL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fiskar wrote: »
    Any issues on the HP Envy (Spectre?) Ultrabook?
    Not personally, but I have a sandy bridge version and it gets little to no use anymore since I now have... well, a yoga 13. And that will see even less use now that I have a surface Pro. And an RT.

....I think I have a problem.

I would wait until Haswell Ultras come out. 4th gen Intel Ultrabooks certification requires all units to meet existing criteria, in addition the units will have by standard a touchscreen, 1 week+ standby/sleep time, 6 hours of HD video playback time and 9 hours of web surfing time. Also word to the wise, look out for models that offer a USB charging port (continues charging USB devices in sleep or even shutdown status), they are ridiculously handy. ASUS laptops are good for this.

Alternatively you can watch the prices on the current Ivy Bridge ultras, and just watch out for them to go to clearance status. On Lenovo's though I set up the U430 the other day and spotted it has some interesting battery maintenance software, which should hopefully be beneficial, not bloaty: one feature being (which I definitely set on the shelf display) it will store the internal battery at a partial charge for best storage life when you plan to not cycle the battery for more than a week. Whereas most SKUs I've displayed in the last 6 months don't have batteries anymore, only 2 of my "premium" SKUs do, and those are 17". Everything else has moved to internal batteries which means replacement is a bitch, and shelf displays aren't that great a deal anymore unless the seller is willing to consider that concern on the price. Or if you get additional cover for the laptop at time of purchase which covers battery replacement.
    Also that Windows 8.1 (Win Blue) is due out fairly shortly and is rumored to correct a lot of the issues and complaints people have had with Windows 8...
    Im running it on the Yoga. the preview has some performance issues and quite a couple bugs but the 8.1 is bringing just a lot of featurettes that improve quality of life in the touch UI - such as when you click a link in Mail in opens up IE as a side-by-side app rather than switching out to IE in fullscreen; some abilities to resize the tiles a bit better etc - which just seems like its a prelude for the future addition of Androdi-style Tile-Widgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭donaghs

Can anyone recommend a touch-enabled notebook or tablet running Windows 8 (not RT!), that's cheaper than the MS Surface Pro?

I've tried the Pro, and like it a lot, but the price is just too high, for me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,872 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

donaghs wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a touch-enabled notebook or tablet running Windows 8 (not RT!), that's cheaper than the MS Surface Pro?

I've tried the Pro, and like it a lot, but the price is just too high, for me
    Samsung ATIV series is a couple hundred cheaper. The build quality seems less appealing but you can get a keyboard/laptop base accessory for it, and it still has a Wacom digitizer pen. However, it isn't an i5 or anything but thats not the end of the world. Im a big lover of the wacom pen, other tablets and touch devices feel kind of shallow without one.

For around the same price the Yoga 11S is available. A lot more usable as a tablet than the 13, but I've heard in other threads that its had some wifi issues. Shame. The Yoga 13 is only 2.4ghz N wifi itself.

Theres also the HP Split, which isn't especially thrilling in any special way but has an i3, as well as a myriad of other touch-enabled laptops that aren't tablets/hybrids.

Advertisement