Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applying for UK road tax refund

Options
  • 28-05-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Title says it all really, just bought a car in UK with 6 months road fax on it, can I send it back to the DVLA for a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

biko wrote: »

Well given he is neither the current or last registered keeper according to their records, doesnt this prohibit him from doing this? or am i missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hmm, you'll have to come to some arrangement with the previous owner to get it...I'm amazed the guy left 6 months tax on it!

You'll have to do it before you re-reg it too, so don't delay as you have only a very short time to re-reg it....and then they will send the V5C back to Swansea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Yes, only the person on the UK/NI Registration Form can apply for the Refund.

If it is a 6 months tax disc they will also deduct 10%, which is the non-refundable surcharge for a 6 months disc. I believe the DVA in Swansea also charges a Refund processing fee. They will also only refund full months, i.e. if you apply on the 1st of a month that month will not be refunded.

Considering the generally lower taxes in the UK it is probably not worth the hassle, at least not on a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Wolves8

I bought it off a garage who insisted It had road tax before they would let me take the car, thought it would be simple enough to get a refund, oh well!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wolves8 wrote: »
    I bought it off a garage who insisted It had road tax before they would let me take the car, thought it would be simple enough to get a refund, oh well!:o

Afaik UK dealers are not allowed to let a car they just sold drive off their forecourt without uptodate tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wolves8 wrote: »

Did they pay for the tax, or did you have to pay it?

How did they arrange it?
    Dealer I was buying from told me it was kinda impossible legally for them to obtain a tax for me (foreign resident with Irish insurance on the car I just bough), and that it was impossible for me to obtain a tax as well.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Afaik UK dealers are not allowed to let a car they just sold drive off their forecourt without uptodate tax.

Dealer I bought from did let me go.
    But to cover their ar$e they got me to sign a declaration that I was informed about road tax laws and I declined to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

CiniO wrote: »
    Did they pay for the tax, or did you have to pay it?

How did they arrange it?
    Dealer I was buying from told me it was kinda impossible legally for them to obtain a tax for me (foreign resident with Irish insurance on the car I just bough), and that it was impossible for me to obtain a tax as well.

They can tax any car using their trade insurance policy, he was telling porki pies.

bbsrs wrote: »
    They can tax any car using their trade insurance policy, he was telling porki pies.

Possibly.
    I wasn't too interested anyway to pay nearly 100 sterling for roadtax just for a trip from London to Holyhead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement