Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weetabix 2x48's for €6 in Dunnes

Options
  • 28-05-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Normal price for a box of 48 Weetabix is €5.82, so nearly half price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tesco Everyday Weetabix is 99c for 24, so for the same price you get 144. Yeah it's Tesco own brand but I can't taste the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Danbo! wrote: »
    Tesco Everyday Weetabix is 99c for 24, so for the same price you get 144. Yeah it's Tesco own brand but I can't taste the difference.

Exactly the same here....cannot taste the difference.:)

You can also save around 50 cents if you buy 2 x 24 boxes,instead of 1 x 48 box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭enviro

I think they are actually the very same... fair play if you can notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

enviro wrote: »
    I think they are actually the very same... fair play if you can notice the difference.

Fair play to me then so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

enviro wrote: »

I can very much notice the difference.

Fair play to Dunnes. You could be pretty certain Tesco wouldn't be providing anywhere near as good an offer on the Weetabix brand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0077PT30Y

13.87 pounds for 144 biscuits.

I can very much notice the difference.

Fair play to Dunnes. You could be pretty certain Tesco wouldn't be providing anywhere near as good an offer on the Weetabix brand

I used to buy and eat Weetabix all the time.

One morning while working in Galway and staying in a BnB,I had my bowl of weetabix.

I was joking with the lady of the house,that she must go through some amount of weetabix each week running a busy BnB.

To my surprise,it was actually Tesco wheat biscuits that I was eating.

I honestly could not taste the difference,only difference being the packaging.

So since then all I buy is the Tesco ones.:D

But anyway.....

All all that matters is that you are happy and you will stick to paying out more for the exact same product.

I will stick with the Tesco ones that taste the exact same as the much more expensive Weetabix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

paddy147 wrote: »
    I used to buy and eat Weetabix all the time.

One morning while working in Galway and staying in a BnB,I had my bowl of weetabix.

I was joking with the lady of the house,that she must go through some amount of weetabix each week running a busy BnB.

To my surprise,it was actually Tesco wheat biscuits that I was eating.

I honestly could not taste the difference,only difference being the packaging.

So since then all I buy is the Tesco ones.:D

But anyway.....

All all that matters is that you are happy and you will stick to paying out more for the exact same product.

I will stick with the Tesco ones that taste the exact same as the much more expensive Weetabix.

I eat those Tesco Weetabix. I have 4 every morning and can't taste the difference between these and the move expensive Weetabix!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I was stuck in Scotland during the bad freeze a few years back and was watching daytime TV

There was a documentary on cereals...(i'll let that settle)

Weetabix actually make some of the own brand alternatives, Apparently they use some different ingredients but its made by the same company.

I was stuck in Scotland during the bad freeze a few years back and was watching daytime TV

There was a documentary on cereals...(i'll let that settle)

Weetabix actually make some of the own brand alternatives, Apparently they use some different ingredients but its made by the same company.

Thats how the world works....but people have a fixation with brand names.

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    I eat those Tesco Weetabix. I have 4 every morning and can't taste the difference between these and the move expensive Weetabix!

Well,I owe it all to that host lady in the BnB in Galway.

All the money she has saved me since then....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Aldi ones are actually made by Weetabix :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I would be interested to see what nutritional value the own brand versions are compared to the named brands. I mean cheaper *usually* means less in something..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ando wrote: »
    I would be interested to see what nutritional value the own brand versions are compared to the named brands. I mean cheaper *usually* means less in something..

It doesn't necessarily mean less nutritional value .

It could mean that the supplier has a larger profit margin on top brand and smaller profit margin on other brand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

ando wrote: »

At a very quick scan I remember the calories/salt/sugar were exactly the same, (I think :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well hats off to you. My children, who eat 2weetabix every morning, recognised a difference in taste straight away despite me removing the packaging to y to cover up what I was doing.

I tried a few times to replace with a cheaper alternative but all I was left with were bowls of uneaten wheat biscuits and hungry kids!

I gave up and nowadays I stick what I know will work.

Exactly the same here....cannot taste the difference.:)

You can also save around 50 cents if you buy 2 x 24 boxes,instead of 1 x 48 box.

I was just in Tesco there this evening. I see their 24 box wheat biscuits you provided and image of paddy147 is actually €1.45. Their best shot at a special offer in the Weetabix brand was a 24 for €3.00, and they have the gaul to advertise it as a special offer

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255174368

Also, noticed there was none of their budget brand cereal on the shelf. Country Barn they used to call it if I recall correctly. Their own shop brand cornflakes were only a few pennies cheaper than the Kellogg's brand.

Just not good enough Tesco. Ye don't provide any value to the punter anymore.

Sorry now for the rant and its not directed at anyone in particular, least of all you paddy147 but seen as others have already used the thread as a forum to draw comparisons.

Also, to mention I was in Dunnes yesterday and they have 750g Kelloggs Cornflakes half price at €1.99

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ColdTurkey

you can't taste the difference there is none, weetabix make all their competitors weetabix, the sluts of the breakfast cereal world

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

The weetabix type cereal in Lidl really isn't nice, it's really dense and hard to eat in a hurry! I can't tell the difference between the Aldi one and actual weetabix.

I was just in Tesco there this evening. I see their 24 box wheat biscuits you provided and image of paddy147 is actually €1.45. Their best shot at a special offer in the Weetabix brand was a 24 for €3.00, and they have the gaul to advertise it as a special offer

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255174368

Also, noticed there was none of their budget brand cereal on the shelf. Country Barn they used to call it if I recall correctly. Their own shop brand cornflakes were only a few pennies cheaper than the Kellogg's brand.

Just not good enough Tesco. Ye don't provide any value to the punter anymore.

Sorry now for the rant and its not directed at anyone in particular, least of all you paddy147 but seen as others have already used the thread as a forum to draw comparisons.

Also, to mention I was in Dunnes yesterday and they have 750g Kelloggs Cornflakes half price at €1.99

And if you by 2 x 24 Tesco wheat biscuits,then you save around 40 cents when compared to buying 1 x 48 Tesco Wheat Biscuits.

They are something like 3 euro 30 or 3 euro 40 cents per pack.

So 2 x 24 is cheaper than 1 x 48.

On anoher note though,I see Tesco have suddenly ramped up the yogurts from 69 cents each to 89 cents each.

Thats one hell of a price mark up overnight.:eek::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I've picked up Weetabix and own-brand Weetabix in the shop (Lidl I think, but I'm not sure) and compared the ingredients and the nutritional value and they're identical. You can even tell from the colour and format of the batch number/datestamp on the boxes that they're coming from the same manufacturer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bachelors make Dunnes beans.

It's the same beans.

The sauce on the other hand is 3% tomato sauce as it was produced when they rinsed out the machines from the branded beans.

The trick is to stock up when Lidl do the 72 packs

On anoher note though,I see Tesco have suddenly ramped up the yogurts from 69 cents each to 89 cents each.

Thats one hell of a price mark up overnight.:eek::mad:

Ah yeah doesn't surprise me though with Tesco. They might have provided a little bit of value in the past with their value brands but so often them products are missing of the shelves and they have being bumping up the prices of many of them all the while too.

Full of tricks. I notice you cant buy a single can of catfood in many of their outlets anymore. Its all the gangpacks and they are considerably more expensive than their competitors. How many unsuspecting punters who blindly do their shopping in Tesco week in, week out pick up these and assume they are getting value. Just to provide an example really.

Don't want to derail the thread as Tesco bashing is not the intended purpose of it. Just to mention there is some fantastic value to be had in Dunnes at the moment in cereals. The Weetabix, the Kelloggs conrnflakes I mentioned, Kelloggs frosties also on offer there at half price if I recall correctly and believe there may have being an offer on the Special K, if I wasn't dreaming walking past it:P

Advertisement