Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How CAO Fetac Offers Work?

Options
  • 28-05-2013 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey guys and girls,

Just a quick query in regards to how CAO offers to Fetac students work.

In terms of the HEL's Scheme, I was under the impression that the higher amount of distinctions you achieved in your fetac course, the better chance you had of getting a place but after talking to another boards.ie member I'm now confused.

For instance, if a college/universities mimimum requirements is 5 distinctions;

I get 8 distinctions
    Another fetac student gets 5 distinctions

Do I, with 8 distinctions, get preference for the course place over the person with 5 distinctions?

Or does the fact he/she meets the five distinction mimimum mean that we will both compete against each other for the place?

During the year we had a talk from a admissions officer from Maynooth. The course (Arts) has a requirement of a minimum of five distinctions (as most do) but she said the mimimum they accepted last year was 7 distinctions and 1 merit.

Here's a link to that course, in the fetac section it says that the mimimum is five distinctions but more distinctions may be required.

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?...etails&ID=2414

This was my understand on how the HEL's scheme worked, but now I'm confused. Would appreciate some help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

I'd love to know the full ins and outs of this myself. I got 7 distinctions and a merit, was delighted at first now I'm kind of worried that the colleges I applied to will just take all distinctions :/

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Lamina wrote: »
    I'd love to know the full ins and outs of this myself. I got 7 distinctions and a merit, was delighted at first now I'm kind of worried that the colleges I applied to will just take all distinctions :/

What course are you applying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Yeh I'm in the same boat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

What course are you applying for?

Veterinary Nursing and I applied to 4 colleges.

I don't think that colleges simply accept all distinctions.

My understand of it was that, for example;

There's 10 places for fetac students on a certain course,

7 applicants got 8 (only the best 8 modules are used) distinctions, so they get a place.

Then lets say 2 applicants have 7 distinctions and 1 merit (the next best result from 8 distinctions), so they get offered a place.

Then 1 applicant has 6 distinctions and 2 merits.. They get the remaining place.

But for instance, if there is 10 places for fetac students and 12 applicants have 8 distinctions. The 10 places will be distributed randomly between the 12 applicants. Known as random selection.

That's my understanding of the situation, I may be wrong. Someone may understand the scheme better than me.

I should note that I believe that's only for the Higher Education Links Scheme and not the Pilot Scheme.

The pilot scheme means your fetac results get turned into Leaving Cert points and you compete against LC students.

1 Distinction = 50 Points
    1 Merit = 30 Points
    1 Pass = 15 Points

I think the courses in the pilot scheme also holds a small number of places for fetac students. So maybe they use the HEL's system to allocate those places. I. Not sure.

• Advertisement

Veterinary Nursing and I applied to 4 colleges.

Could you tell me which colleges and I could do some quick research for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭92Grainne1992

I asked ITB, interested in their social studies programme, they said they choose their FETAC entrants based on the best results, similar to the leaving cert. I'd say all colleges will pick some one with a load of distinctions rather than just the minimum entry requirements... if you get me... :)

Advertisement