Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Astra or Focus - re-sale value

Options
  • 28-05-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all

I raised a thread about what car I should buy (Ford Focus or Vauxhall Astra) but, as of writing, I have yet to receive a reply. I'm guessing that this is because it's difficult to choose between the two.

After thinking about it some more I am edging towards the Astra. However, does anyone know which of the two has the best depreciation? I tried using a free car valuation tool but all it showed was the current value. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Best regards

MH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If it is a Vauxhall Astra in this country I would say the Focus most definitely, age of the car will affect this too - on a newer car it will be greater than on an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Same mileage and same condition, a base Focus will be worth more than a base Astra.

If you go up the spec's though, it looks like a nice Astra will have a fairly decent resale value. Recently sold a 1.4i SRI in White (and in really good nick) for a hell of lot more than I thought it would go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you are talking about the Vauxhall Astra and the link to the free car valuation is a UK site. Are you based in the UK because if so then it is a completely different market to Ireland so it is very difficult for us to judge which will have a better resale value in the UK.

If you are Irish based then a Ford will obviously be worth more than a Vauxhall as normally Vauxhalls are sold as Opels in Ireland so any Vauxhall would have less resale value historically due to the less known factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

There are more ford focuses on the market, which can drive down the price (with more choice, you generally have more to compete with price wise and you need to make your focus more attractive then others, whats more attractive then hard $$$).

Vauxhall's will attract less then an Opel, even though there exactly the same car, personally I wouldn't care either way, but it would be a general opinion held by the masses.

I would go for the Astra personally as I prefer the looks, but the focus is a fine car. Both are terribly slow in a 1.4 however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mharford

Excellent - thanks guys.

I think I'll be opting for the Astra!

Best regards

MH

• Advertisement
Advertisement