Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Off the road

Options
  • 28-05-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Hi My car was off the road for 1 month after I blew the gearboxHow do I claim the road tax back? Do I go to my local Guarda station or is that form now gone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Specialun wrote: »
    How do I claim the road tax back?

You can't

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik you can only claim tax back if car is written off or scrapped.
    Just being off the road for repairs isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

biko wrote: »
    Afaik you can only claim tax back if car is written off or scrapped.

And I think even then you can only claim a whole period back, ie 3 months, 6 months etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

oh ok

I thought you could avoid having to back track on the car tax if it was off the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

From Citizen's Info

Refunds of motor tax
    It is possible in certain circumstances, to claim a refund of motor tax. Your application for a refund, should be made directly to you local motor tax office, on Form RF120 (pdf). Circumstances where you may claim a refund of motor tax include;

The vehicle has been scrapped/destroyed or sent permanently out of the State,
    The vehicle has been stolen and has not been recovered by the owner,
    The vehicle has not been taken out or used in a public place at any time since the issue of the current disc,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of illness, injury or other physical disability, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of absence from the state for business or educational purposes, to use the vehicle,
    The owner of the vehicle has ceased, because of service overseas with the Defence Forces, to use the vehicle.
    Tax discs must be surrendered immediately as refunds are generally calculated from the first of the month following the surrender of the disc. A minimum of three unexpired whole calender months must be left on the disc when surrendered. Where a vehicle has been scrapped you will need a certificate of destruction issued by an End-of-Life Vehicle (ELV) Authorised Treatment Facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oh ok

I thought you could avoid having to back track on the car tax if it was off the road
    You can avoid having to back tax it, but you can't reclaim tax for a period in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

oh ok

??? Your first post gives the impression your car is currently taxed but the above gives the impression it isn't?

If its not currently taxed you can declare it off the road when getting it taxed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot claim back motor tax if the car is temporarily off the road for repairs afaik. You can only claim motor tax back if the car is being scrapped and it has a minimum of 3 months tax left on it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

oh ok

You can, but thats not what you asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Sorry...i caused confusion

I meant as in avoid back paying tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

How do I claim the road tax back?.
    Sorry...i caused confusion
    I meant as in avoid back paying tax
    You did yeah :D

To declare car off road so you don't have to pay tax for the duration, go to Gardai and use form rf100a, it's there, and the garda will stamp it after you sign it. Then on to motor tax office.
    I'd wait until June has started before doing this, so you don't have to pay for May.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wheres My ForkandKnife

biko wrote: »
    You did yeah :D

To declare car off road so you don't have to pay tax for the duration, go to Gardai and use form rf100a, it's there, and the garda will stamp it after you sign it. Then on to motor tax office.
    I'd wait until June has started before doing this, so you don't have to pay for May.

Are you advising him to keep the car off the road until June or to wait until June to have the form stamped:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Are you advising him to keep the car off the road until June or to wait until June to have the form stamped:D:D

He's not advising anything, he said he'd wait :D

Interpret that at your peril :P

Advertisement