Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saltee Islands

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking at all the photo's from The Saltee Islands over the past few days and wondering if someone can give me some information on it?

Seems that everyone goes at the same time?

How do you get there etc?

Cheers

Tal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I was there for the first time on Saturday. went with three others who had already organised their trip.

Basically you drive down to Kilmore Quay and then get a boat out to near the Island, transfer to a RIB and go into shore. the boat comes back a few hours later and picks you back up.

The guys I was travelling with gave me a number of the boat man to call and book so I did that. i`m not sure if that is essential. Think it was €25 a head return. Maybe a 20 minute journey each way.

Brought camera, tripod and food and water as there are no facilities on the Island. Also a decent pair of boots/shoes for walking/climbing/trekking.

If you get a day like we were lucky enough to on Saturday, it really is a beautiful place to visit.

*edit* Should also say that the main attraction of the island for photographers is the Puffins who can be found there at this time of year. There is plenty of other bird life there too, Gannets and Seagulls by the dozens but i think the Puffins are the main attraction.
    I`m not particularly interested in birds or photographing them but I had a brilliant day down there(weather always helps) and would go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Would highly recommend a visit, Declan Bates is the man to ring to book a place on the boat, he was doing extra runs starting at 7am and the normal runs at 10am for collection at 3pm, sounds a long time but believe me it flies by. Cost is 25e and if you are travelling far then book to be sure.
    Good walking shoes as the ground is quite uneven especially where the Puffins nest, you can easily put an ankle out if your foot goes into a burrow. Water, sambos and sun screen is a good idea, you will see Guillimot, Razorbills, Puffin, Gannet, Fulmar, Great Black Backed Gulls, Chough, and plenty more, there were lots of Sky Lark and Rock Pippits also. The season is a bit on the late side this year so there is still plenty of time to visit, probably another four weeks or so as there are only a few birds on eggs, the Puffins will certainly be there till early July I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Was thinking about going myself this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'd be up for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Went there a couple of times with the kids, no need to book - we just headed to Kilmore Quay and there are signs on the pier. It's a good day out i have to say, but be prepared for the weather - if you get caught in the rain there is absolutely nowhere to take shelter!
    Also when you land on the island there is a monument explaining the owners belief that he is in fact the king of the saltee islands - have a read and a giggle - he sounds quite eccentric to say the least!

• Advertisement

Went there a couple of times with the kids, no need to book - we just headed to Kilmore Quay and there are signs on the pier. It's a good day out i have to say, but be prepared for the weather - if you get caught in the rain there is absolutely nowhere to take shelter!
    Also when you land on the island there is a monument explaining the owners belief that he is in fact the king of the saltee islands - have a read and a giggle - he sounds quite eccentric to say the least!

At this time of year you are best to book, the boats only take 12 people and if they are booked up you will have a four/five hour wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are there many restrictions as to where you can go on the islands, in terms of not disturbing nesting birds, or minimising damage to the ecosystem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

None enforceable, except by the natives - when I visited one of the guys was attacked by a gannet.
    Suffered cuts to hand and head.

So keep clear of nests and young.
    But you will come very close to a huge gannet colony.
    are there many restrictions as to where you can go on the islands, in terms of not disturbing nesting birds, or minimising damage to the ecosystem?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Heading down on Monday for the 11.00am boat. Any other boardsies going to be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Make sure you cover yourself in factor 50 lads & ladies - you will roast out there.

• Advertisement

Have a great day Mikka, I wish I was going again, I think two trips close together would be very beneficial (for me anyway) as I would be much more relaxed the second day.....haha. Was FAR to excited when I went and couldn't hold the camera steady! :):)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'll just re-post this that I posted in the Nature & Birdwatching picture thread with regards taking pics of birds on the Saltees and similar places - basically, be a little bit patient and you'll get some fantastic pictures without getting right up beside the birds and harrasing them (which most people do unintentionally).........
    For anyone visiting seabird colonies...
    I've already made a post 4 or 5 pages back about taking pics and disturbing birds in the process, which is often accidental but which both annoys/endangers birds/chicks/eggs, and is also illegal.
    I just want to highlight this issue with specific reference to sea bird colonies like the Saltees and the many others around Irelands coasts.

The amount of people on Great Saltee last saturday who spent several minutes peering over nests and chicks, or who walked right down to within a few feet of the Gannet colony was enfuriating! You have to keep in mind that ALL birds see humans as potential predators and respond accordingly when you walk up to them, their nests, eggs and chicks. Sometimes they fly away, endangering chicks/eggs and wasting energy, sometimes they stay and try and hold their ground, but are under a significant amount of stress until you are out of sight. If a Shag/Gull is screaming at you it means you should get out of there because you're near its nest! If you are within a few feet of a gannet colony you are too close, the gannets might sit tight on their nests but they are getting more and more stressed the longer you're there and while you can handle 20mins of stress in your day, its a lot more significant to a bird, especially a breeding bird!

It is quite easy to get gorgeous pictures of every single seabird at these colonies without harrassing and annoying them. If you happen to stumble upon a nest, which happens everyone accidently including me, just make sure to try and get out as quick as possible to minimise the stress on adult birds and chicks. Can you walk down to within a few feet of the Gannet colony? maybe. Should you? absolutely not! You can get equally good photos from 10+metres away without harassing a large number of birds that are trying to keep eggs warm or guard nests/chicks.

In summary, we have some great seabird colonies in Ireland and its nice to be able to visit them, its great to be able to say you got some nice pics from them, and its absolutely wonderful to be able to say you got nice pictures without causing disturbance to the birds in question!

Again, I realise many people do the above out of sheer ignorance rather than selfishness, but I think its worth mentioning in a thread like this just so people are mindful

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bullpost wrote: »
    None enforceable, except by the natives - when I visited one of the guys was attacked by a gannet.
    Suffered cuts to hand and head.

So keep clear of nests and young.
    But you will come very close to a huge gannet colony.
    a pertinent post from nature & birdwatching:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84855868&postcount=2880

Advertisement