Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar panels

Options
  • 28-05-2013 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi anyone who has installed solar hot water panels,just a few questions,any regrets,are your bills cheaper,what type of system would you recommend, and any realiabity issues,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

location ?

are you connected to the gas mains ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DrGuy

I'm new to Ireland (in fact, moving in the next month and a half), but have had a lot of experience with them in Israel. I am guessing that solar water heaters would be problematic in Ireland due to two factors: (1) persistent cloud cover, and (2) it's a somewhat radiation-limited environment. Of these, the former is the greater concern than the latter- solar water heaters don't do a good job on cloudy days, but are awesome on clear days. This is why they work well in Israel, which is clear most of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

DrGuy wrote: »
    I'm new to Ireland (in fact, moving in the next month and a half), but have had a lot of experience with them in Israel. I am guessing that solar water heaters would be problematic in Ireland due to two factors: (1) persistent cloud cover, and (2) it's a somewhat radiation-limited environment. Of these, the former is the greater concern than the latter- solar water heaters don't do a good job on cloudy days, but are awesome on clear days. This is why they work well in Israel, which is clear most of the year.
    We installed solar water heating about 4 years ago. In summer (the panels face almost directly south) all hot water needs of our house (2 adults, 4 kids) are met by the solar panels. Thats about 4-5 months of the year. Even with cloud cover.

For the rest of the year, we either have to switch on the immersion heater for a little while or the oil-fired heating is on so we have loads of hot water, for our need anyway.

In winter, they work just fine, their role being to heat the water up to 30-40degrees so the pressure is off the the heating system to heat the water up to circulation temperature.

Iirc, the cost was about 4k, net of grant, for 2 panels and plumbing into the heating system and a 200litre insulated tank for storage with immersion heater.

Tbh, i wouldnt be without one now

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭DrGuy

That's good to know. Apparently I was stuck in the 1990s, but I am guessing the technology has significantly improved since then. Here in the USA the solar electric companies wouldn't check our house as orthophotos showed trees that would partially shade our roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FitnessFactor

Even with the climate we experience in Ireland you can imagine the main worry is if you can affford the square footage of the pannels required.
    You can always put more if needed :). Obviously you know that anyway.

Solar pannels in ireland are becoming quite visible actually. I suppose people finally see how much they can save through proper walls insulation etc.

Were you considering as well a heat pump? I suppose in Israel fewer people are interested in this technology?

• Advertisement
Advertisement