Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating body to schools of medicine in Ireland.

Options
  • 28-05-2013 3:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all, pretty morbid thought of mine but I was recently asked (by my religious mother) what my wishes were if I died.
    At the time I said I personally didn't care because I would be dead, so do whatever makes you happy, but i've since been thinking that I could put my body to much more beneficial uses.

I already hold an organ doner card so I said what the hell why not donate my whole body.

I've already done the research and checked out each med schools page on the matter as well as citizens information, but I'm unsure if its worth my time doing this at such a young age. I'm only in my early 20's with no serious medical issues, so death any time soon in unlikely (I hope :p).

So by the time I do die, the witnesses signatures, my address, my doctor, and other things will have all changed and died by then.

Finally, whats the situation with donated bodies in Ireland? Is there enough of them to go around? are some med schools struggling more than others? Which one do you think would be the best to donate to?

I hope this doesn't classify as "medical advice", but mods please move if I'm in the wrong place.

Hell, to make the subject more general. What kind of stuff have you experienced in regards to the training on donated bodies? Do you do much procedures, or is it just general dissection to gain an understand of the location of organs. It's a pretty interesting topic actually!

Comments

Advertisement